Author Topic: Newbie question about blades  (Read 2815 times)

Emac

Newbie question about blades
« on: August 17, 2010, 05:37:46 pm »
OK folks, I am really green and I have a question. I have found some simple patterns with mostly outside cuts and not many sharp turns, but I am still breaking blades. The Flying Dutchman blades I ordered haven't come in yet and I went and bought a package at a local hardware store. All they have is pin type. I have heard that pin type were tougher than the pinless and that has me worried. I have my tension tight. The ones I bought today have 18.5 tpi.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie question about blades
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 07:40:38 pm »
There is nothing WRONG with pin style blades! If you are doing mostly outside cuts and/or larger inside cuts, pin style work quite well. You just have to drill larger starter holes for them on 'inside' cuts.
It is when you get into smaller inside cuts that the 'pin-less style come into importance because they require alot smaller starter holes.
As far as brand, 'Different strokes for differn't folks", everyone has their favorite brand for various reasons.
As far a breakage, you could be trying to push too hard, let the blade do the cutting. All you really need to do is guide the material into the blade. At some point, depending on the wood and thickness, you will find that the blade wants to cut faster than you can keep up with!! It happens when you least expect it!
The tooth count, the speed of the saw, your experiance, and the thickness and kind of wood is up to you and your trial and error. No one can tell you what is best! We more experianced scrollers know what works for us and can advise  you on how to overcome some problems but the truth is, "Only the Shadow knows".
It is up to you and practice and experiance to find the answers. Sorry to burst your bubble, and DON'T go buy every blade on the market or expect someone to solve your problems becuse we can't.
I would advise you to buy about 3 or 4 differen't sizes of blades (probably a dozen or so of each) and make some saw dust.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 08:01:49 pm »
One reason blades brake is not enough tension on the blade. It is important to have as much tension on the blade with out breaking or slipping in the blade clamps. If you are using pinned blades my guess is not enough tension.
Dan In Southern California

Dragonlord85

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:21:43 pm »
dgman is right about not enough tension on the blade but also another culprit for some new to scrolling is too much tension on the blade. If the blade is too tight is stresses the blade causing heat to build up and blade breakage.

Emac

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 11:23:09 am »
Thanks for all the replies. It is possible that I have too much tension on the blade. I have it pretty tight. Where it seems to break is when I am cutting a sharp turn. I need to work on doing those turns. I bought an Intro pack of 6 dozen blades so I could see which blade was best for me. They still haven't arrived and I broke all 6 that were in the last pack I bought. The wood I have been using is 1/2" plywood. I am going to get some thinner. I think like Rapid Roger says is I need to practice. I have got to work on making turns. I have noticed the blade twists when I am making a turn and right after that it snaps.

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 11:50:53 am »
Don't know where you ordered your blades but if you order from Mike you won't wait long. I placed my last order late on a Friday evening and had an email confirmation on Saturday and the blades on Monday. This is similar to all my ordering experiences with him. Mikesworkshop is great.
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 12:16:54 pm »
Ditto on Mikes workshop.  The mixed box of blades from the big box store is a serious piece of ****.  I worked at the big orange box and had to do demos on their saw and use their blades.  OMG!  They break easily, tension right or not. Also, somewhere on steve's blog is a demo of what your blade should sound like when you plink it.  If your musical - a C is where it should be.  Bigger blades tend to have a deeper tone, but it might give you a reference point.

Emac

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 01:49:49 pm »
I have the demo about what the blade is supposed to sound like. I don't know, I may be tone deaf or something because the sounds don't sound a whole lot different to me. I ordered the blades from E-Bay. I am cautious about where I enter my payment information and I trust using E-Bay and PayPal. I have looked at Mike's website and may order from him in the future, but I thought the intro pack would be the way to go for a newbie and he doesn't offer it. Remember I am just getting started and am very green at this. I am as dumb as a box of rocks about my scroll saw, but I am learning. School starts tomorrow for my daughter and I am looking forward to having time to learn about this.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 02:52:29 pm »
You made one very correct decision...you joined this forum!

My nickel's worth....or maybe more!

1. Mike is the most knowledgeable, friendly, honest and helpful guy you will meet on the internet!
2. Mike's site is SAFE! I have fewer qualms about ordering online from Mike than I do Ebay!
3. Call Mike! You will lean more in 10 minutes about blades and scrollsawing than you will in a month of trial and error and asking questions here.
4. GET the book by Nielson, "ScrollSaw Workbook"...it was written and illustrated for  'newbies'!
5. DUMP the lumberyard plywood. It is probably the worst thing you could use when learning. It has voids, very abrasive glue and host of other things that make it tough on blades.
6. Get yourself some thinner Poplar at Lowes or HD and try that. Michaels and Hobby Lobby carry some wood that they call Hobby Wood and it is available in plywood form. Good stuff for beginning projects.
7. There are tons of things you can make using silhouettes so you only have 'outside' cuts so start with them until you feel comfortable.

Everyone of us will say the same thing...get the right wood and blades and PRACTICE!
It is the ONLY way to learn this Hobby/Craft.

Good Luck with the blades and remember....

"Keep Scrolling!"

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 06:45:22 am »
Again, ditto to GrayBeard.  Mike will gladly take your order over the phone.  I hesitated for the same reason, but after talking to Mike - no worries.  The more you cut, the more you learn.  Most of us are self taught.  Take your time and practice, practice, practice.  Happy Scrolling.

Emac

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 11:11:58 am »
Thanks for every ones advice. Here is what I have learned so far. I got the order of Flying Dutchman blades in yesterday. I looked up what the different blades were for and chose the #9 because of the wood I was cutting. I cut 1/2" plywood, 3/4" rough cedar and 1" rough pine. The cedar and pine were in my scrap pile. I was used to breaking blades every few minutes. I am still using the first Flying Dutchman blade I put in. The is NO substitute for a good blade. These I have been buying at the local hardware are junk. I have been making sure that I am going slow enough and letting the saw do the work and making sure the blade is tight. I have cut out a stack of silhouettes. They are looking better and better as I learn.

The knowledge I have received here is priceless and I want to thank everyone again for their help. I am going to get some good wood hopefully this weekend and if not the first of next week.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 06:42:32 pm »
Glad to hear thing are working out for you! Can't wait to see some pictures!
Dan In Southern California

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 08:01:25 am »
So glad it's working out for you.  It's frustrating when you think your doing everything right and still breaking blades.  I know when I discovered good blades, my scroll world changed.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 10:56:25 am »
So tell me Emac...

What is it like to have finally arrived in SCROLL HEAVEN ?

Ladies and Gentlemen of the CHORUS all together now.....

"WE told you so!"

Have fun, Mate!!!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Emac

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 11:50:09 am »
I am amazed. I could not believe that a blade would make that much difference. I STILL have the first blade in the saw. I have cut a lot of stuff. Yesterday my daughter told me that I could help her get some extra points in school. She said that everyone would get extra points if they brought a Christmas ornimate for the school Christmas tree. I got out there and cut her a couple from 3/4'' cedar. I have been sanding rough wood and cutting all sorts of stuff. I can't wait for the weather to get a little cooler. I always figured I would enjoy a scroll saw, I just didn't know how much.

SMF

Teknoromi