Author Topic: "lint free" cloth?  (Read 550 times)

Offline ARVY1956

• View Profile
"lint free" cloth?
« on: January 10, 2023, 01:20:02 pm »
Does a true 'lint free' cloth exist?  I bought a bag of rags at Lowes - the bag states "Lint Free".  However, when I stain fretwork, the excess stain has to be removed before it dries.  When I use the Lowes rags I get a lot of residual fibers on my work that has to be painstakingly removed, a fiber at a time from most of the cutouts.  this increases the project time considerably.  I'm looking for alternatives.  thanks.

Offline tholdener

• View Profile
Re: "lint free" cloth?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 08:11:21 am »
The rags at big box stores can be used for staining, but you need to throw them in washer/dryer first to remove all the "fuzzies", no detergent or fabric softener. After this, I've had no issues with fuzzies or fibers unless I cut them down smaller. Another alternative are Makrs stain pads. You cut them down to size you need. I saw Matthew Peech use these and I got some to try out. More expensive, but depending on the size of the piece you are doing, you can cut the pad smaller than they recommend. More pricey than rags at the box stores, but I've never had anything anything left behind on a piece using these.

Offline ARVY1956

• View Profile
Re: "lint free" cloth?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 12:06:38 pm »
I'll certainly try that.  thanks for the input.  I have the same problem - but not as bad, when I wipe down a trivet after wiping it down with mineral oil.  I'll put the bag of rags in the washer today!

SMF

Teknoromi