Author Topic: Kinked blades  (Read 488 times)

Offline garryatpa

• View Profile
Kinked blades
« on: April 15, 2022, 11:46:34 pm »
This is really a continuation of the topic from Feb. 13, 2021.  I too had a problem with kinked blades on my Dewalt 788.  I did find that I had a bent tip on the end of the wing bolt of the bottom chuck.   I have replaced both chucks on the Dewalt now with new Pegas chucks but haven't used it enough to know if this has solved my problem.  Over the years I have had the blades kink like a hockey stick on my Hegner also.  That one was an easy fix in that I did not have my blade centered in the blade holder.   Once the blade was centered there was no more problem with kinked blades.  In Patrick Spielman's book The new scroll Saw Handbook, he places the cause as the chuck not having the ability to pivot when pressure from sawing is placed on the blade and therefore the tip of the blade bends like a hockey stick because the blade holder does not move with the blade when pressure is applied during sawing.  I think there may be a combination of causes - the inability of the blade holder to mover with the blade,  the tension on the blade ( less tension seemed to lessen the tendency of the blade to bend in my case), the rate at which you push the wood through the blade (slow down the feed rate and let the blade do its job)  and the adjustment of the set screw and wing bolt.    Just some food for thought.  Hope this may help you in solving kinked blades with your saw.

SMF

Teknoromi