Author Topic: Removing Patterns  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Roy Warren

• Roy Warren
    • View Profile
Removing Patterns
« on: June 08, 2021, 11:55:34 am »
I have tried about everything applying patterns.  Mostly spray adhesives and I've tried 5 or 6 different ones of those.  Either they don't adhere to the wood and come up just when you're making that precision cut or you spend 15 or 20 minutes trying to get all the parts of the pattern of the part.

I tried Acetone and it's okay, but it releases the adhesive from the paper and still leave a residue on the wood. I want it off the wood.

I started out using 3-M Photo Mount when it was $3.00 a can, but now the last time I bought it, it was $13.00 a can.

I would always look for an adhesive with a temporary bond, which it is.  But I never have found out how long to wait before applying the pattern to the wood, and I've tried all different lengths of time.  duh

So here's what I do.  I use one of the cheaper brands of adhesive.  Right now I'm using Loctite that I bought at Lowes, but I don't think it matters.
Then I use a heat gun for 10 seconds or so, and the pattern comes right off, in one piece.  No more picking pieces off with my fingernail, and worrying that I'm going to break something getting it off.  (Watch your fingers with the heat gun.  It's HOT.)

Bought mine at Harbor Freight for $16.99. 

Just my two cents worth,  You may want to try it.

Roy

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: Removing Patterns
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 07:27:01 pm »
Thanks for sharing your tip, Roy!

Many people, including myself, have used blue painter's tape on the wood and then apply the pattern to the
painter's tape with whatever temporary spray adhesive you want to use. The blue tape is important rather than
a more permanent bond.

Recently, many people have changed from the blue painter's tape to self adhesive shelf liner attached to the wood
and then the pattern glued onto the shelf liner.

Both of these methods work very well to remove the pattern from the finished project without leaving a sticky residue behind.

It may add a little more expense in purchasing the blue painter's tape or the shelf liner but, I have no idea what the expense
would be to compare the electricity to use a heat gun to the price of the tape or shelf liner and your time is valuable also.

Just pointing out other options.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 06:05:47 am »
I use all methods as above depending on the project. 

I have found that using shelf paper with an intricate pattern, the shelf paper lifts more than painters tape.  It is easier to put on bigger pieces,

If I adhere directly I use a heat gun too but I find that there is a glue residue left behind that I have to wipe down the piece with mineral spirits.

Offline Roy Warren

• Roy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 10:44:54 am »
I haven't tried painter's tape or shelf paper.  I'll give them a try. I've tried everything else.

Thanks,
Roy - Waxhaw, NC

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 07:02:50 pm »
I have tried many spray glues, shelf liner, painters tape and have settled on a 77 labelled spray directly to the pattern, wait 30 seconds or so to position onto the wood . Then use either wood spirits to remove the pattern or heat. I like to pre-sand before attaching the pattern and have found shelf liner and painters tape will sometimes pull wood fibres out when removing the pattern then I feel I need to touch the finished piece with sand paper again which can cause delicate places to break.

SMF

Teknoromi