Author Topic: Hello, guys  (Read 1461 times)

Offline PatrickNY

• View Profile
Hello, guys
« on: May 08, 2021, 06:50:21 pm »
Hey, what’s up, guys? I’m pretty new to scroll sawing. I actually bought my dewalt scroll saw back in 2001, but then 9/11 happened and I never got around to it. Then, I moved to a small house with no workshop, yadda yadda yadda, fast forward 20 years and I just moved to a bigger house and finally dusted off the old saw. I’ve made a couple of pieces, and I’m really enjoying it, but hoping to improve thru practice. Looking forward to learning what I can from this site. Thanks for having me.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: Hello, guys
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 07:29:13 pm »
welcome patrick, I am from Nipawin Saskatchewan a few thousand miles away from NY. great site for patterns not as much social as there used to be however Scrollers cafe and Scroll saw village are a nice site to visit as well

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 10:43:43 pm »
Welcome PatrickNC,

I'm new at scrolling also, so maybe we can learn together. I've found the members on this forum are extremely helpful. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 07:56:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Patrick!
I am also looking forward to seeing some of your work.
Please participate in the group and help keep it lively.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline PatrickNY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 02:22:41 pm »
Trying to post pics, but it says my file is too big.    ...Sorry, not a computer guy.

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 02:16:15 pm »
PatrickNY,

From what I understand Steve has limited the size of pictures to reduce the amount of data required to operate the forum. I can't remember the exact size of the limit (I believe 140 kb), but the way I reduce the size of the file I'm trying to upload to the form is by resizing the photograph. You can usually do this in most picture viewing programs on your computer. Another way is by reducing the size of the picture with your camera before taking your picture. Unfortunately, most cameras now days, even phone cameras, create a much larger file with a single picture than they did years ago. Hope this helps.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 12:20:52 pm »
Hey !  There are a lot of us GALS ON HERE TOO AND WE CAN PROBABLY OUT SAW YOU  ;D ;D ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Roy Warren

• Roy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 04:32:58 pm »
Hey Judy, 
Let me tell you my story about lady scrollers.
In 2002 I was teaching a scrollsaw class and one of my pupils, who is named Joyce, took my class.  I always closed my classes by telling them that if they need any help or patterns, just give me a call.
Well, a couple of days later Joyce called my and said she would like to have the butterfly pattern.  I told her okay and how to get there.
She came over and we got to talking and I said to myself, "I've got to go out with this girl."
We have now bee married 18 years.
People ask her if she is still scroll sawing. She says she don't have too, she's got Roy.

She takes immediate possession of everything I make.   :)

Roy

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 09:46:46 pm »
 :D What a great story. Congratulations!!!!!! I should be so Lucky to meet a scroll sawing guy :)
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 10:48:08 am »
Patrick, glad to see you moved to a place where you could stretch out and get a little woodworking done.  The challenge in todays environment is to find wood for our shops that is affordable!  You might investigate cabinet shops etc. for their drops.  Scrollers can do many things with smaller pieces of stock.

Regards > GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 08:36:52 am »
I get most of my wood out of the scrap bin at a local lumber yard.  They have small fees posted but a lot of times I getting so little it's not worth their time in writing it up.
Ask around at pretty much anywhere that sells wood - odds are they have a scrap pile somewhere.

SMF

Teknoromi