Author Topic: Green Scroller  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
Green Scroller
« on: April 16, 2021, 01:17:23 am »
Hello everyone,

I've been doing rough carpentry work for many years. Although I'm retired from law enforcement and continue to work in a second career, I and trying to set myself up for more delicate and artistic woodwork when I fully retire. I recently picked up a WEN Scrollsaw and believe the bug bit me pretty hard. It seems I can't wait to get in front of the saw.

I look forward to gaining knowledge from the many experienced scrollers on the forum. I've attached on of my first projects from Steve's patterns.

I'm in SE North Carolina, 63, married to a great woman, have 2 dogs, 2 cats, a gold fish pond with over 50 coy, and let a friend keep his cattle in my pasture (I already mow 6+ acres). All my horses have passed away and I've never replaced them. Doctors have told me I shouldn't be riding anyway with my back issues. I've got 20 acres total and my land abuts 4300 acres of pulpwood land. Needless to say with my career as a law enforcement officer I wanted to get away from urban environment.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
Re: Green Scroller
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 12:25:53 pm »
Welcome Rodney, Thank you for your service in Law Enforcement, People doing that service are not getting enough credit these days. You did a very nice job on your first project. I like the subject. I've been scrolling for over 30 years and haven't tired of it yet.

Best of luck, Al
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 09:05:06 pm »
Hi, Rodney,
Thanks for your service as a police officer.
Thanks also for the nice intro and for showing us a sampling of your work.
Looking forward to your participation.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 10:37:43 pm »
The work looks great. I am from North Dakota. I was in law enforcement a long time ago when
 there were very few women wearing a badge and carrying a weapon. When we did bar checks , the patrons would watch to see which bathroom I used. Some even asked, "are you really a female?" That was a long time ago and I would not take the job in Law enforcement in today's world.  Best of luck. But be careful.  Oh yeah, remember scroll sawing can become addictive :) ;)
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 12:00:56 am »
Thanks for the welcome greetings!

Judy, I retired in Sept. 2000. I worked with several different agencies since my retirement and finally let all my certifications go about four years ago. Most of my career was spent as a training officer. Firearms, defensive driving, pursuit driving, defensive tactics, batons, pepper sprays, etc. I did some travel training for other agencies up and down the east coast. I planned to keep my certifications to help small agencies that didn't have training officers but with the hate towards the blue these days, I decided to give it up. Loved it when I was in it but don't miss it at all.

I still work. My title is security but I'm more of a dispatcher checking trucks in and out of a manufacturing company. Fortunately the company distributes world wide and is indirectly related to the food industry. We had a slight reduction when the pandemic hit but things are picking up to the point we're working six days a week. Only problem with that is that it takes away from my scrolling time. Anyway, two more years and I'm totally retiring and calling it "ME" time.

Happy Scrolling!

Rodney

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 12:52:13 pm »
Well Rodney as you can see from the other responses are a sane bunch of folks who appreciate the folks who serve us every day.  Enjoy your new found world of scrolling and stay tuned to Steve's blog.  He is a gem.

SMF

Teknoromi