Author Topic: Just checking on the lies my computer tells me.  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Just checking on the lies my computer tells me.
« on: October 04, 2020, 10:47:12 am »
My computer says there has been no activity on here for about a week.  Does it lie to me?
I'm from North Dakota

Offline coachgrd

• View Profile
Re: Just checking on the lies my computer tells me.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 01:15:28 pm »
It sure is like a ghost town.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 03:21:11 pm by coachgrd »

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 02:13:31 pm »
Sometimes we're jawing and sometimes we're sawing.
This week it's been sawing.

I made the hot pot stand from July 30th - https://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2020/07/hot-dishpot-holder-and-stir-paddle.html
Didn't bother with the companion stir paddle.

Came out so well I made 3 more sets for Christmas presents.  They're not hard to do, easy to ship, and useful.  But they are a bit tedious - there are 25 cuts / piece, two pieces / set so that was 150 cuts, each with a hole to drill and the blade to feed through.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 08:08:27 am »
I've been busy making Christmas ornaments for the whole family, which I do every year.  Each ornament relates to something that has happened to the person in the past year and, as we gather at Christmas the ornaments are the first gift they want to open. I've been doing this for the past 10 years.  Wish I'd started sooner.

Al
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 12:53:33 pm »
I made the hot pot stand from July 30th - https://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2020/07/hot-dishpot-holder-and-stir-paddle.html
Same here - made one, made another, will make some more once other projects are done.

First one was made from poplar, second one in oak.  What did you use?

Tried staining one by dipping, so that all the holes were coated, but that did not go well.  I think I can do better next time.  As they say, we learn from our errors.....
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 07:22:05 pm »
If you use the dip method it is good to have a forced air system to blow out the holes to get rid of the excess stain.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 07:14:53 am »
If you use the dip method it is good to have a forced air system to blow out the holes to get rid of the excess stain.
Judy - thanks!

Don also mentioned this earlier.  I have a compressor, but it is very loud and not very powerful.  Guess I will have to wear my ear protection even more.....

I also have a Shopvac where I can plug the hose into the exhaust.  However, I suspect this would not provide enough pressure, even with a narrow tip, to achieve the desired results.
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 06:49:36 pm »
I used oak for all them (probably - I get most of my scrolling wood from the scrap bin at a local hardwood lumberyard).  Great thing is that since I usually only get a few pieces at a time they often don't bother to charge me for it.

I used the simple food safe finish for mine - the beeswax & mineral oil mix.  Rub it on with a paper towel, give it a few and wipe off the excess.  I used a toothpick to get the excess out of the holes.  Takes a day to a few days to get fully set up but it's a nice finish, IMHO.

Offline Bucko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 08:50:03 am »
Recent items for me - some Ghosts/ Pumpkin for display on our shelves, wall cross (2) and a Rocking Horse along with a Dinosaur puzzle for a growing Grandson.
Give it a try —

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 01:29:42 pm »
Judy, It's always puzzling to me, but this is something that occurs occasionally.  You suppose scrollers are taking social distancing to an extreme?  >> Regards GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline Coffeepot

• Something good is brewing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 01:45:37 am »
Sometimes we're jawing and sometimes we're sawing.  That was good!
This week it's been sawing.

Came out so well I made 3 more sets for Christmas presents.  They're not hard to do, easy to ship, and useful.  But they are a bit tedious - there are 25 cuts / piece, two pieces / set so that was 150 cuts, each with a hole to drill and the blade to feed through.

I have plans to make these too, with a variation.  One of the sides will have the flower pattern and the other will have initials of the recipient.  That way I only cut 75 cuts  :)   We'll see how that turns out.   ???
Scrolling has its perks

Offline harpolemond

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2020, 12:04:58 pm »
Yea I have been busy sawing too. It is Christmas ornament time.  Made more than 50 and some for family, but most for a friend to sell.  At Christmas time beer bottles with the bottoms removed for wind chimes.  I use a glass cutter to score the bottle and pop off the bottoms, grind them down and chain them up with wind catches below as Christmas ornaments.  Just made a case of them for a friend to sell.   Also I am in Illinois and pretty much stuck at home due to Covid so I have been sawing a lot.

SMF

Teknoromi