Author Topic: Next step up from WEN/Harbor Freight  (Read 2474 times)

Offline coachgrd

• View Profile
Next step up from WEN/Harbor Freight
« on: August 18, 2020, 11:45:42 am »
Hi everyone. I've had my WEN now for a couple of weeks and have been enjoying the heck out of this new hobby.  I'm curious though, where the quality in saws goes from the entry models, like the next step up.  At some point, I may make the jump.  Thanks in advance.
~Gary

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Next step up from WEN/Harbor Freight
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 12:54:11 pm »
I would highly recommend the DeWalt 788. reasonably priced and available on amazon

I'm from North Dakota

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 01:26:28 pm »
I have the Ex-21.  Best decision I ever made in workshop machinery.  I have had mine for over 9 years without a problem except I replaced the blade holder with the Pegas holders.  Just sounded like a good idea and they were on sale.  Work well.

I love that the arm stays up and that the head tilts instead of the table.  Makes it easier to do with bowls and baskets.

Our club has 7 DW788 but they are dying with the heavy use they get.

If I was buying today I would look closely at the the Pegas or the King. 

In the USA I would also look at the Seyco due to the larger table and the service available.

Offline coachgrd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 12:31:42 pm »
I would highly recommend the DeWalt 788. reasonably priced and available on amazon

Thanks Judy.  Just curious, is there anything in between the entry models and say, this DeWalt? (Like in the $300 range.)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 09:58:04 pm »
I don';t know of any
I'm from North Dakota

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 09:22:40 am »
The Delta 40-694 is a clone of the 788 and is often on sale.  Steve Good occasionally reports when it is on sale (in the US), sometimes at a significant saving. 

It's another choice to consider.  I have one and is  identical to the 788 , except for the paint colours.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 07:57:29 am »
my first saw was a Dremal 20 plus years ago, 16 inch throat fixed arm and tried to learn on my own and my success was limited. I found this site ( Scroll Saw Workshop) and the helpful info increased my enjoyment,  leading me to an old Dewalt 788 with an arm that would raise up to allow easier blade insertions into entry holes and the tilting table increased the scope of my productions and eventually into craft sales. Year and a half ago I bought a brand new Seyco , another step up in quality machines. I spend many hours a day cutting, searching for patterns being creative. If you enjoy the hobby it won't be long until a saw upgrade will happen

Offline coachgrd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 06:46:23 am »
Thanks to everyone who's responded!  Welcome any others as well.

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 12:42:03 pm »
When I upgraded from my 'starter' saw I tried to go with a mid-grade but had trouble finding one.

So I bit the bullet and jumped right up to an 18" Jet.

If you're going to keep scrolling you might want to see about saving the money from that mid-grade and spending it on a high-quality saw.  You're going to get one eventually anyway and it is so much better!

Offline coachgrd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 08:27:17 pm »
Well, I pulled the trigger on a Delta 40-694.  Best way to describe the difference between it and the WEN is NIGHT & DAY.  Wow, so smooth.  Loving it.  Now need more time in a day to tackle the list of things I want to make.

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 10:55:33 am »
I know the feeling.  You thought you had a scrollsaw.
Now, you have a scrollsaw!

Dig through Steve's projects - tons of fun and almost no matter what level you're at there are projects you can do and on most of them there's at least one bit that will make you stretch your skills.

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 02:58:21 pm »
I started with a saw from Canadian Tire.  It was great, for a while....got the missing screws to use pinless blades, but that is not what the saw was designed for and they never worked right.

Used the deWalt saws at Lee Valley courses.  A definite step up from the CTC unit, but didn't feel quite right.....

Picked up a used Excalibur EX-21 for a bit less than the price of a new deWalt, and have been very happy since!

Except for when I was trying to get a couple of items finished for our yard sale, and the lower chuck had a problem.  Ordered the Pegus chucks, but they didn't get here in time, so I put them on the following week.  Definite improvement!  May be personal taste, but I will echo Don's feeling about how the Excalibur design works.
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

SMF

Teknoromi