Author Topic: stack cutting  (Read 1974 times)

Offline red river

• View Profile
stack cutting
« on: May 10, 2020, 04:36:59 pm »
Hi everybody,
I go by the handle of red river and am new to scroll sawing, and I must say it has been a life saver as I recently retired and needed a hobby in the worst way. it has been a blast. I use an old Tradesman 8365, which uses pin end blades which limits my variety of patterns to cut but it will have to work for now.
Would someone please give me a suggestion or two on the following: I want to stack cut a pattern with  4 ea 6 " x 6 " 1/4" in pieces of baltic birch plywood but I am at a loss as to how to hold them together so they won't move when I cut. There is probobaly several different ways....Thanks in advance and Gig em Aggies

Offline Bucko

• View Profile
Re: stack cutting
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 05:26:06 pm »
I use a quality double side stick tape but use caution as above 3/4” thick ply my blade pulls cuts on an angle  .
Give it a try —

Offline justlarry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 08:52:12 pm »
There are several ways to do this:

Wrap the pieces in painter's tape or packing tape

Wrap painter's tape or packing tape around the edges

Use pin nailer and put pins in the waste areas of the wood

Use a small dab (pin head size) of wood glue in waste areas and clamp pieces together

Use hot glue around the edges of the wood

Larry

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 05:43:49 pm »
I use blue painter's tape and only attach the tape about every other inch around the edges of the stacked wood. I use pieces just long enough to make sure the wood is secure (about 1/4" on top and bottom. ie, if stacked wood is 1" I would cut my tape pieces 1 1/2". Make sure wood is clean from dust so tape will stick. I use 3M 77 adhesive to secure pattern and when finished I spray a light coat of mineral spirits to remove pattern. Hope this helps. Also, cutting 1"thick requires a slow slow cut or else blade will bend or get too hot and will break.

Offline red river

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 06:00:00 pm »
Thanks for the replies y'all....The knowledge on this board is top notch...I am sure i'll be back again with more questions...

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 07:34:17 pm »
I have use all items that toneman used all , but do mostly over size the pieces, apply a drop of gorilla clear quick dry glue on corners and a every 3 for inches and clap together. does not take much to hold them together

Offline harpolemond

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 11:23:25 am »
I do considerable amounts of stack cutting. I make wind chimes as a hobby.
   I use a paint brush to clean each piece, use painters tape or masking tape  half inch and nothing wider, roll it together with my finger and put a few pieces on each piece.
     I have a Black and Decker hobby vice that is plastic and rubber that will compress small pieces.
   and, I also have been known to compress it  by placing a piece of paper on it on the floor and stepping on the stack lightly.
     Just for fun I will tell you what I do for the pattern.  Seems nearly all glue is hard to remove from the top piece with the pattern so I use wide painters tape  on the top piece.  Then spray glue the pattern to the tape which I print out on my printer ....to the top board.
    The tape in between I pay attention to my pattern so very small cut outs do not come in contact with the actual tape as when you pull it apart baltic birch may pull off the top layer of wood with it.
All the suggestions in this thread are good ones, this is just my way

SMF

Teknoromi