Author Topic: New member from Westport, MA  (Read 1743 times)

Offline lindafitznj50

• View Profile
New member from Westport, MA
« on: April 13, 2020, 04:05:41 pm »
I took up scroll sawing in late December. I work like a mad woman and when our office closed down between Christmas and New Year's I needed something to take up my time. I bought a saw from Harbor Freight for $69. Figured it was a small investment that I could afford plus my husband had lots of scrap wood in the basement shop. I'm hooked!!! I just started my first intarsia project. A little scared of that as I have the pieces cut out but don't have a clue on how to sand them but waiting for a book from Amazon to give me some pointers. Made a 5 piece turtle puzzle. Learned a lesson there about having the saw at 90 degrees. My next puzzle came out much better. It's a tough decision on whether to spend the day gardening, which I love or down in the shop without sunlight, which I also love. Enough of this introduction as I need to head down to the shop to put some tung oil on my lighthouse ;-)

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: New member from Westport, MA
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 10:10:10 pm »
Welcome to the forum!
I also started with a cheap Harbor Freight Scrollsaw. I hope yours has blade clamps that will accept
pinless, plain end blades because you can do so much more if you don't have to bore big holes to
get a pinned blade through.
I'm looking forward to seeing some of your projects. Make sure to take plenty of pictures for yourself
to see the progress you make and also for the enjoyment of seeing your accomplishments.
You probably already know, since you joined this forum, Steve Good offers free patterns almost daily
and you can view them here https://www.stevedgood.com/catalog/
Steve has also offered for free some stencil makers and key chain makers that are really cool.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline lindafitznj50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 08:08:48 am »
One of the first things I did was get the adapters. I'm making a list of what I want in my next saw: easy clamping of blades, larger table, better blower, easier way to set tension. What saw are you using and how do you like it?

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 11:46:09 am »
Welcome! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

SMF

Teknoromi