Author Topic: rotary tool with flex shaft  (Read 2056 times)

Offline gramps

• View Profile
rotary tool with flex shaft
« on: January 01, 2020, 08:50:42 pm »
looking to get one. i want a good one but i don't want to spend $ 400 plus on it. but i also don't want a piece of junk either. there are so many models out there . what do you people use? thanks in advance, gramps

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: rotary tool with flex shaft
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 08:48:57 pm »
I have a flex shaft with my dremel, after years of holding a heavy dremel in my hand and trying to do anything with it, I finally got a flex shaft and it was awesome, dremel is a good brand and have lots of things to use with them, thats if doing small things like cutting or sanding or polishing.

The other bigger units I can't say how they are, read the reviews if there is any see what others are saying of course like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Offline Berta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 10:49:04 pm »
You DO get what you pay for. I don’t use it often so the dremel and flex shaft works for me

Offline gramps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 04:14:49 am »
i have been looking at the dremel 4300 . there are so many options, but this one looks promising. thanks for the feedback, gramps

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 08:16:56 am »
I have a Dremel and wanted the flex shaft but the Dremel flex shaft was about $45 at the time.

I bought the cordless rotary tool at Harbour Freight on sale for about $20.  The rotary tool is pretty useless as the battery would not last but the flex shaft fit my Dremel and it is great.  Maybe not as nice as a Dremel but does the job I want it to do.  I do some Intarsia and it comes in handy there.  I also added a foot peddle - real handy.

Offline gramps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 01:50:59 pm »
don, i believe i saw a youtube video with you talking about your sanding station. i am waiting for the flex sander to arrive, but i am thinking the flex shaft tool would work better than the wonder wheel. what are your thoughts? the video was cut short so i was not able to get all the information you gave. thanks for your help, gramps

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 03:34:38 pm »
That video is over 5 years old.  I still have the sander and use it all the time.  Still have not mastered the wonder wheel but is still on the do do list.

I did not realize that the video was cut short.  We have had a number of web masters and what is missing is where I got the flex sander in Canada.  I think it was cut short as at that time we had a discount set up for the club and that was only for club members.

In Canada the flex discs are available at http://store.workshopsupply.com/catalogue/intarsia-tools-c-1641_2127.html.  They don't seem to carry the wonder wheel anymore.  Judy has changed the design a couple of years ago so it would have to be order from her.

I do have a flex shaft that I do use from time to time.   I have a chuck that currently is on an old motor and drive a max mop. (greatest sander in my shop).  I have switch to my sanding station if I need to sand slower.

The chuck came from Stockroom supply and the flex shaft from sawbird.  I don't see either on their web sites.  I used originally with Inflatable Kirjes-Guinevere Sanding Drum for bowls. Too cheap to buy the complete kit with motor etc.

I see they sell the flex shaft but expensive at over $100.  I think I paid less than $50 but that was 5 years ago.  I am not sure where to get chuck.

Here is a picture on the shaft just sitting there.

Need any more info give me shout.

SMF

Teknoromi