Author Topic: Wood Choice  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Brasshog

• View Profile
Wood Choice
« on: June 22, 2019, 09:18:54 pm »
I am a newbie first time poster with a question. I understand the popularity of Baltic birch. My question is what wood do you use that calls for 3/4 inch? What are you favorites? Thank you for the help.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: Wood Choice
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 07:35:13 am »
I use Baltic birch in1/8 to 3/4 size, as it is very versatile , good for puzzles, portrait cuttings, One can do a lot with MDF board as it is cheap and cuts easy and there is no grain to deflect the blade a dust mask is a must. I sometimes use it for backer board but it is not a preferred product for me. Construction grade spruce, plne can give provide a lot of enjoyment but  fine detail needs special tender handling. Every year I make simple toy cars to give to charities for Christmas distribution to kids that may not have presents.2 X4 and 2X6 spruce and pine are good for this. I like hardwoods such as walnut, maple, cherry, beech, birch , bass are all good and can give beautiful  finishes for boxes and shelf sitters. They do get more pricy and into exotics woods that need a second mortgage to purchase. They are all good and have their place so the sky is the limit . practice, learn, study, lots of info on the internet, u tube if you are just starting I suggest you keep it simple.

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:28:59 am »
Poplar is my wood of choice it’s reasonable priced readily available nice grain and easy to paint if you so desire just my 2 cents

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 10:08:15 am »
Brasshog, my personal choices would be baltic birch for economy and stability of the wood with the maples and walnut for the beauty of the wood.  You should enjoy all that Steve provides here on his blog.  Regards >> GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline Brasshog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 02:59:58 pm »
Thank you all for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 11:40:05 am »
I use a lot of the 1/8 and 1/4" Baltic Birch but also like Poplar for some projects.  I also like red oak although some people call that a dirty word but it is plentiful in this area.  I like pine if the pattern is not too delicate.

Offline Billbo49

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 01:02:52 pm »
I go to cabinet makers here in NY and Florida and ask for scrap pieces. I get some beautiful stuff,oak , maple , cherry. Most are very friendly and happily give some some are not. Most everything is 3/4 inch. Some have knots . I love making something with a knot in it,it gives it character. Try asking some cabinet makers and let me know how you make out. Best part is it’s free wood.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 04:46:50 pm »
I use Baltic Birch on 1/8" to 1/2" thick projects. For 3/4" projects, I buy Select Pine from Home Depot. It is a little expensive ($36.00 for a piece of 12" x 8', but it has beautiful grain and stains really nice and is soft to cut. I found that 3/4" Baltic Birch is just too tough on the blades because of all the glue and is really slow cutting.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 09:03:51 pm »
I'm a complete newb who has been reading a lot of guys using "Baltic Birch" for most of their projects.  I'm just wondering - is Baltic birch actually plywood that is finished on one side or is it a solid piece of wood?  I do know that there's no such thing called Baltic birch around here.  In fact, the only hardwood I can get is birch, oak, maple and pine.  But I can get plywood that's finished on one side, be it oak, birch or maple.

But for most of my projects I prefer to use birch.  I get lots of hardwood from a guy who's business is making hardwood flooring.  The wood is rough meaning that I have to mill it down on the jointer and planer.  I certainly don't mind doing this because I get it dirt cheap so the extra work is well worth it.

So I'm just wondering... is the birch I'm using actually equivalent to "Baltic" birch or is what you speak of actually plywood?

Thanks so much

/Oscar

Offline justlarry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 08:44:58 am »
Oscar,

Information in this link should answer your questions on Baltic Birch Plywood.  To get the 1/8 and 1/4 size here, I have to order it in.
https://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/woodworking-101/tips-tricks/your-ultimate-guide-to-baltic-birch-plywood-why-its-better-when-to-use-it/

Larry

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 10:36:39 am »
Depending what I am I am cutting I use baltic birch, most of my stuff is small so I get it Micheals craft store, true baltic birch if you get it in sheet good form  it is 5x5 if its 4x8 its plywood veneer birch. I also used veneered plywood thats 1/4 inch thick I can get it in 2x4 or 4x4 just all depends what I am cutting, around my area if I was to find small enough hardwood I would need a band saw or planer to mill it to the thickness I want.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 11:26:32 pm »
Oscar,

Information in this link should answer your questions on Baltic Birch Plywood.  To get the 1/8 and 1/4 size here, I have to order it in.
https://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/woodworking-101/tips-tricks/your-ultimate-guide-to-baltic-birch-plywood-why-its-better-when-to-use-it/

Larry

Thanks so much for this Larry... very much appreciated.  Now that I understand what Baltic birch is, I can say for sure that I can't get it around here.  I did notice that I can get it from Amazon.  As I said, I can get veneer plywood - oak, maple and birch but it isn't as good as Baltic birch.  And, I have my vast supply of hardwood which I use most often.  Perhaps when I start getting low on what I have now I'll give Baltic birch a try.  I did notice that it's quite pricey.

Thanks again!!!

/Oscar

Offline Andy Ogden

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 08:29:53 am »
Hey, Oscar and Brasshog. I was just talking to my guy at the lumber yard about my scrolling hobby. He cam out and said that he could bring in a lot of exotic woods. So maybe check that out. Castle Building supply. Also a Windsor Plywood have exotics. This is in Canada. Not sure what you have if you are in the states. Maybe Lowes.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 08:31:53 am by Andy Ogden »

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 12:06:42 pm »
Hi Andy...

I am in fact in Canada - Quebec to be more specific.  Unfortunately I don't have a Castle Building Supply or a Windsor Plywood store around here.  I really don't have many choices.  Rona, Reno Depot, Home Depot are the only places I have to shop at.  None of these places have Baltic birch.  I can get regular plywood that is finished on one side but only in birch, maple and oak.  And 1/4" is nonexistent.  And so I use this type of plywood - 1/2" - 3/4" - and hope for the best.

I have a guy who makes hardwood flooring.  I get all my hardwood from him dirt cheap.  It does mean that I have to mill the wood down to size on the jointer and planer but this is a small price to pay considering the cost of the wood.

/Oscar 

SMF

Teknoromi