Author Topic: Can you transport a scrollsaw laying on it's side?  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Can you transport a scrollsaw laying on it's side?
« on: April 19, 2019, 05:51:58 pm »
I need to take my Jet saw to a woodworking show for a 2 day demo and don't really want to have to take it off the stand.  Does anyone know if it can be safely transported laying on it's side?  The left side, since the motor is on the right side.  I'd have it blocked up so it doesn't move, and some tension on the blade to keep the arm still.   Maybe it would just be easier to take it off, but then I have to re-assemble it there, and repeat the whole process to bring it home.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this.  I actually tried to call Ray at Seyco, but just got the machine.  If no one here has any thoughts that will help, I may try Ray again later, as the show isn't until next weekend.
Thanks a bunch,
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: Can you transport a scrollsaw laying on it's side?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 08:37:38 am »
I took my Dewalt off the stand to transport as I thought it would be easier to handle  and less risk of damage. I also thought the anchor pivot point on the back of the table and the tilting frame would  be stressed and costly to repair or cause alighnment issues should something bend.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 11:06:02 am »
To be on the safe side if any question of risking damage take it off the stand to transport it.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 11:29:40 am »
Guess I'll just quit trying to be lazy and take it off the stand.  If my van was only 3 inches higher inside, it would stand up and just need strapped to the side.  Oh well, this is why I've cut down to one wood show a year.  This year will be purely demo, with no sales, so that's a LOT of extra stuff I don't have to haul around.
Nancy

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 02:22:41 pm »
I decided it wasn't worth possibly damaging the saw, so took it off the stand.  Ended up selling it at the show, so didn't have to worry about transporting it back home!  Now I just have the 3 DeWalts.

The Jet was a great saw, but I learned on a DeWalt, and it's still my favorite.  I'm a top feeder, which you can't do on the Jet, and I just never made the transition.  Plus, for the least vibration of any saw I've tried...and I've tried MANY....I just couldn't beat the DeWalt.

Offline Coffeepot

• Something good is brewing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 10:03:26 am »
Well done!  Hope it was a good show for you. 
Scrolling has its perks

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 10:32:06 am »
Nancy, just curious, why three Dewalts plus a Jet?  I can only scroll with one saw at a time!  >>  GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 07:53:05 pm »
You can never have too much of a good thing!  I have one Type 1 that I purchased new, and 2 others, barely used,  from friends that thought they would use them but didn't.  I've always preferred the DeWalt, but purchased the Jet because my thumb and forefinger were getting SO sore from twisting that thumb screw to tighten the blade.  If you do 5-6 hours a day of detailed fretwork, it gets to be a pain.  The lever on the Jet tightens and tensions all in one.

Now I've pretty much retired from production work and wasn't using the Jet, so might as well get part of my money back.

The show went well and was quite relaxing, since all I did for 2 days was scroll and visit with people! I didn't take any items for sale this year.  The group I belong to....Northwest Corner Woodworkers Association...was part of the event called WoodFest that promotes the woodworking efforts of several area high school shop classes.
Nancy 

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 06:20:25 pm »
Funny story.

I have a dewalt saw.  I saw that there were the things you could buy to raise the arm and thought it would be nice to have but I did not want to spend the money so thought I would figure a work around.

I saw in may garage right by the open door so i screwed a hook into the door while it was opened and attached a long bungee cord around the saw upper arm.  Worked great,

So one day  I was done sawing for the day and when i shut the garage door i heard a very loud thump against it. 

Seems I had forgotten to un bungee cord the saw upper aram. when I opened the door again it was just dangling there by the hook in the door and the bungee cord.

Thank goodness no damage was done, i was so upset I was almost in tears.

Offline chris woodall

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 07:00:54 pm »
Nancy,
Contact Marcus Bailey at scrollsawcomfortknob@gmail.com or (404)274-2532 He sales a set of knobs for the Dewalt saw that will take care of your fingers hurting. Look on the Blog from April 17,2017   Steve has a article about them on that days blog.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 11:11:02 am »
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a set of those and don't care for them as well as the ones that came on the saw.  The real problem was the 6 hours a day to keep up with orders.  I dropped all but 3 clients, out of more than 200, so that pretty much took care  of the problem!  Now I'm mostly cutting things just for me, or gifts.  After selling around 6000 ornaments and 9300 wine glass caddies, it's nice to be "cutting back".

SMF

Teknoromi