Author Topic: scrolling in old age  (Read 1996 times)

Offline brummie

• View Profile
scrolling in old age
« on: January 08, 2019, 07:54:08 am »
now in my eighties i still enjoy my scroll sawing .i had to buy myself magnifying lamp to see lines better ,and slow the speed of the saw as my reactions not so good, so its nice to still make sawdust I must apologise for not putting the dots and other things in there places my education was very basic just after the first world ,there was fifty in the average class room lack of teachers some where still waiting to be demobbed so we were just taught the basics, all the best to all the scrollers       

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: scrolling in old age
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 07:58:36 am »
You do good my friend. I am in the back side of my 70's and hope to do scroll and craft work for many years to come. Keep posting as you are an insoiration

Offline Rockytime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 10:37:12 pm »
I just turned 80 and started scrolling about two years ago. I have a nice Hawk and enjoy every minute of scrolling. I wear 3+ reading glasses and need good light. I have neuropathy in my fingers and  scroll at moderate speeds. Scrolling is wonderful therapy For us old fellows. I also remove my hearing aids and wear hearing protection. Nice not to hear my saw and dust collection.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 12:44:28 pm »
I'm only 75 and I started scrolling about 20 years ago when I was still working.
I've owned 3 scroll saws over the years. My last one is 15 years old now.
I developed COPD mostly from woodworking and haven't used my saw for about 5 years. I have been considering trying to get back into the shop. But, I'll have to wait and see.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 08:06:08 am »
Is there opportunity to start an "old scrollers club" When I lived in the city of Saskatoon and became of age I was invited to join "the old farts carving group" now that was an experience all old guys should have. We often talked about our emerging medical conditions, sometimes   discussions on religion, state of the nation or Dodge versus ford would get heated but the old guys always laughed through it as someone would change the subject to Grandchildren. through it all sharp knives were kept to working a piece of wood. 

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 06:45:13 pm »
Welcome Sir! I'm not as blessed with wisdom as you Gentleman are, but, I'm 53, and been scrollin' 25+ years.

I understand about the vision, and not bein' able to cut as fast as I used to. I just finished a project that had some tiny detail throughout the the project. Man! It took me longer to compensate for the smaller parts to cut than it did to read the labels in my blade inventory & make a decision on what blade to use!:o

I've been out of the shop right at a year due to health issues & Sawbones tellin' me ya "can't do this or that anymore." I finally told my Bride I ain't able to sit any longer. When she asked what the problem was? I told her these Sawbones took my Trucking career, I ain't lettin'em take my hobby that her & our family Sawbones thought I needed to get into so bad. We've got to many $$$$ just sittin' and collectin' dust otherwise. So, I walked out the door to the shop, and been tryin' to work in the shop some ever' day since!

I drove OTR 30 years. It took me to long to settle in after I retired in 2012, I refuse to go thru all that again. My health has placed enormous limitations on me as it is, creating high stress situations. And my Bride's health is not the best, either. Wood working is a huge stress reliever for me, and just a get away when I go to the shop with my dogs. Nothing else is goin' on in that shop except what I am doin'. Everyone needs that.

If you can put together an "old farts club", send me an invite, Sir! Mr. Rocky & I are good friends.

Keep in touch.
Sawdust703(Brad)

SMF

Teknoromi