Author Topic: Took the plunge and bought a scroll saw  (Read 2635 times)

Offline MFannin

• View Profile
Took the plunge and bought a scroll saw
« on: January 01, 2019, 11:31:51 am »
I'm new to scrolling and after much research I purchased an entry level scroll saw.  I'm on a budget, so I need to be careful with a new hobby.
 It's a harbor freight that was on sale - $75.76 out the door (with coupon).  I then purchased the Pozgai designs modification to allow tool less blade changes for $37.  Then purchased an Olson variety pack of pin less blades for $9.  Total, $121.76.   I saved the money by skipping lunches at work and saving the money (adds up after a while).  After much research I must say how pleased I am with its performance.  No vibration issues (it's bolted down), air pump works fine, the blade modification works great, and I'm making my first project with no issues (a simple cross with internal cuts).  I'm on the hunt for some wood to start a custom Intarsia project.  Soon I'll be downloading Inkscape (freeware) and making my own design of a communications satellite.  I have a few ideas and I am motivated to start it.  Thanks to all who provided advice.  This isn't the best setup but it's a good start for me.  I'll be posting pictures soon when I start the satellite project.  Wish me luck!  Mark in Colorado.
Mark Fannin
KA0BUD

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Took the plunge and bought a scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 01:29:56 pm »
HOT DARN! Good for you! May you and your saw setup spend many happy hours together.
Keep us posted!
I'm from North Dakota

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 02:55:18 pm »
Thanks for the intro, Mark,
It really sounds like you thought things through and I can safely say that you
will soon be addicted to scrolling!
Keep us posted with your projects, please.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 05:06:32 pm »
Welcome Mark to this forum and site. Congratulations on your purchase of a scroll saw and I know you will enjoy scrolling! Please don't hesitate to ask questions ( there are no dumb questions); there are many experienced scrollers on the forum who will gladly help you out. Good luck and please post pictures of your new creations!

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 05:09:29 pm »
Congrats on your purchase. I know you have been waiting and looking for a while now, and I a looking forward to seeing some of your projects.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 12:11:03 am »
Howdy Mr. Mark,

Congrats on your new ownership, Sir, and welcome to the forum! 8)

It sounds like you had your recent purchase planned well. I will say HF tools are excellent beginner level tools, and nice to learn on. If and when you tire of the HF saw, or wear it out, whichever comes first, you'll know by then if this is the hobby for you, and you'll have a solid relationship with your saw. ;)

Were I in your boots, I'd start watchin' CL and other such places for a good, solid used higher end saw as your skills improve. It won't be long, and you'll see why I'm letting you know this. ;)

In the meantime, you made a wise choice in going with the pinless blade change over. Keep in mind every blade sings a different tune while cutting in different thicknesses of wood, so make sure your tension & speed are set correctly. Don't over tighten, but don't run to loose, either.

As far as bein' on the hunt for wood, if there's any construction goin' on in your territory, get to know the job foreman and ask him if he'd let ya do a little "dumpster divin' " in their dumpster. Them fellers pitch more "good lumber" than they pay for. You'd be surprised at the amount and size of lumber you'll find.

Another option, if you're on the ambitious side, might be pallet wood. It's a rough job gettin' them apart, but there is some excellent oak, ash, and maple to be had from those pallets. And, if you're fixed with a planer, jointer, and table saw, glue, clamps and patience, you're set, brother!

You can joint the edges of the pallet slats, run'em through your planer to clean'em up and smooth the faces, fix ya a glue up to look however ya want it to look at the thickness you decided, clamp it together, and let'er set overnight. The next morning, after ya take your clamps off, ya can start sizin' it with your table saw. Just that easy, you're off an' ready to start slingin' sawdust again!

Best of luck to ya, Sir! One step at a time. You'll get the addiction, I promise ya! ;) 8)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:21:27 am by sawdust703 »
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline Coffeepot

• Something good is brewing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 09:00:36 am »
You're in trouble now, Mark  ;)

Congrats on the start of a wonderful new hobby that will keep you hooked with every new cut.  Lots of kind souls here who can help and advise if needed.  And if all else fails, just think of all the wonderful kindling you have for your fireplace!
Scrolling has its perks

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 11:33:18 am »
Congrats, welcome to the world of scrollers, they are a good bunch of folks with a shared desire ti be creative with their hands and wood.  The knowledge here at Steve,s blog is awesome with helpful crafts folks.  Regards >> GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 06:53:01 pm »
Mark,
 Keep in mind when scrounging for wood... It doesn't have to be NEW wood, it doesn't have to be BIG pieces of wood, It can be PLYWOOD of ANY thickness and any diminution. And color and interesting grain doesn't really matter in scroll sawing. The beauty is in the pattern and skill of the person guiding the wood through the blade.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi