Author Topic: Blade Changing  (Read 2273 times)

Offline jpillivant

• View Profile
Blade Changing
« on: December 13, 2018, 09:18:52 am »
Having trouble getting the 5" plain 46 TPI spiral blades in the top and bottom clamps.  I am using a Porter Cable 18 in variable speed scroll saw.  This is a brand new saw I just purchased and the directions on replacing blades are not done very well. When I do get them in they break within minutes. Help.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:08:14 pm by jpillivant »

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
Re: Blade Changing
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 03:08:29 pm »
I've never used a PC saw but, on my RBI Hawk I have to make sure those blades are mounted without any twist at all (top or bottom) and need a little more tension than regular blades.  Doing this, I rarely break spiral blades.

Offline jpillivant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 04:10:58 pm »
Haven't tried pinned blades yet, going to try them next and see how they do.  There has to be a trick to getting the blades in correctly where they don't break right away.

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 10:22:05 am »
Perhaps you should try a non spiral, straight, blade and or a spiral blade with flat ends to facilitate clamping to see if your early blade breaking problem is solved.  Flying Dutchman makes many blades types such as these.  A supplier that I use is mikesworkshop.com
Regards > GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline Berta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 05:57:42 pm »
It would help to know if your blades are breaking near the top or bottom, or just generally. Also, have you tried a tiny less tension? It just might be a tiny too much.

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 10:48:41 am »
That saw is not spiral friendly. I broke many in that saw. When I got my dewalt I had no more issues

Offline jpillivant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 09:23:39 am »
I returned the Porter Cable and ordered the Dewalt DW788 and stand.  I think it will be a much better saw.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 09:32:01 pm »
Howdy.

Something you may try if you're still having issues is to try flattening the ends of your blades with a small ball peen hammer. No need to beat the blade to death, just tap it til you flatten about 3/4" of the top and bottom of the blade where it will go into your blade holders and will allow your thumb screw to tighten against the flat spot you made in the blade stock.
This will allow for better gripping, and better blade guidance. Something else, Make sure that your thumb screw does not have any "shiny" spots on the face of it. If it does, gently rub it over 220 grit sandpaper to get rid of the shiny spots and put a grip surface back on the face of the thumb screw. Also, Make sure the spiral blade "bottoms out" in your blade holder. If it doesn't, your thumb screw will never hold a spiral blade correctly, and blade breakage will continue. Watch your tension and side to side motion against the spiral blade, as well.

Sawdust703
Sawdust703(Brad)

SMF

Teknoromi