Author Topic: Wobbly blade clamp  (Read 3874 times)

Offline barb e

• View Profile
Wobbly blade clamp
« on: October 31, 2018, 09:28:15 am »
I watched the video Steve posted a couple of days ago about the Dewalt 788.  In the video Bob said the blade clamp should move.  I have attached a video of my upper and lower clamps.  Is this wear & tear, would just replacing the clamps fix the issue.  I am hoping to get the Pegas clamps for Christmas! These are the links to the videos as I couldn't figure out how to upload them here.  Let me know if you can't see them and possibly how to show them (not very tech savy).  https://imgur.com/a/pmnzTRi

Offline Heli_av8tor

• View Profile
Re: Wobbly blade clamp
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 06:25:48 pm »
Hi Barb,

First let me preface this by saying I'm new to scrolling and the DeWalt. However, I'm not new to mechanics. These bearing are loose. I don't think replacing the holders alone will have much effect

I just compared your video to my new DW788. I'd estimate that yours have 20 to 30 times more slop than mine have.

First make sure the blade holder bolts are tight. The bushing should be clamped tightly between the sides of the holder block. Next I would disassemble and inspect the needle bearings and inner sleeve for wear.

I took a short video of mine but the file size is 20.3 MB. I could email to you if you like.

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 08:20:33 am »
I'm not familiar with your saw and certainly not very 'mechanical' but, I'd sure try removing the bolts and putting thin washers between the clamp and the holder to see it that would tighten it up.

Dennis

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 08:32:47 am »
Hi Barb,

First let me preface this by saying I'm new to scrolling and the DeWalt. However, I'm not new to mechanics. These bearing are loose. I don't think replacing the holders alone will have much effect

I just compared your video to my new DW788. I'd estimate that yours have 20 to 30 times more slop than mine have.

First make sure the blade holder bolts are tight. The bushing should be clamped tightly between the sides of the holder block. Next I would disassemble and inspect the needle bearings and inner sleeve for wear.

That would be interesting to see, you could email it to puzzledplus1@gmail.com.
Thanks
I took a short video of mine but the file size is 20.3 MB. I could email to you if you like.

Offline Heli_av8tor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 09:22:21 am »
Barb: Video and additional info emailed to you.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 01:20:44 pm »
Barb, if you want to open up the saw and to replace some parts, I put a couple of links in a recent post that will help you with the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNt2Y0ajDwk  and  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P4E1At82lc&feature=youtu.be 

They are long, but sure helped me getting into and lubing my saw.

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 03:57:52 pm »
I would like to thank everyone for their help.  I went to or called 4 different DeWalt service outlets here.  None of them had the "short sleeve" part in stock and it would have to be ordered in. Estimated time anywhere from 5 days to 3 weeks.  Each sleeve was aproximately $10.  I was looking to replace the 4 on the clamps.  Decision time - I was going to put the Pegas clamps on my Christmas wish list.  It is not on the list anymore, just ordered them this afternoon. :)  Should be here in a week!!  Yes the Pegas clamps are twice the price of the sleeves, but I am sure it will be more than worth it.  Can't wait!!! Hope Canada Post doesn't actually go on strike!

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 11:13:45 am »
I would like to thank everyone for their help.  I went to or called 4 different DeWalt service outlets here.  None of them had the "short sleeve" part in stock and it would have to be ordered in. Estimated time anywhere from 5 days to 3 weeks.  Each sleeve was aproximately $10.  I was looking to replace the 4 on the clamps.  Decision time - I was going to put the Pegas clamps on my Christmas wish list.  It is not on the list anymore, just ordered them this afternoon. :)  Should be here in a week!!  Yes the Pegas clamps are twice the price of the sleeves, but I am sure it will be more than worth it.  Can't wait!!! Hope Canada Post doesn't actually go on strike!
Barb
just fitting new clamps is not going to rectify the bearing problem
here are the sleeves
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/short-sleeve-p-67068.html

Dave

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 08:23:52 am »
Barb
just fitting new clamps is not going to rectify the bearing problem
here are the sleeves

Thanks Dave,  I was under the impression that the new Pegas clamps replaced the whole area.  I guess I will wait to see when they arrive later this week. 

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/short-sleeve-p-67068.html

Dave

Offline justlarry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 10:55:29 am »
Barb,
I found this video on installing Pegas clamps on the DW788.  Note that the clamps installed are the earlier version before the model for the DW 788 was available.  I have not watched all of the video.  I believe everything comes with the new clamp heads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOPUO2AxJoE

Larry
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:00:07 am by justlarry »

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 09:02:36 am »
Well, despite Canada Post job actions I got my clamps yesterday!!  ;D.  Got them installed last night and got some cutting done!!!!  Thanks to all who help with my silly questions. 

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 09:46:08 am »
Well, despite Canada Post job actions I got my clamps yesterday!!  ;D.  Got them installed last night and got some cutting done!!!!  Thanks to all who help with my silly questions.
Barb - did they make a difference?

The only silly questions are the ones not asked....
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline Octoolguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 05:43:30 pm »
I put a set of the Pegas on my Ex 21 and it made a ton of difference. And, I love the way they apply the tension. I'm going to order the Ex set for my Dewalt because of the tension lever system. I should be able to set the tension on the Dewalt with their rotating lever and then leave it in that position. From that point on, it's just flipping the lever on the Pegas clamps.

Ray
Dewalt 788 Type 1, Hegner Multimax 18E, Excalibur Ex-21

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 09:46:05 am »
Barb - did they make a difference?

The only silly questions are the ones not asked....

Yes they did make a difference. Very quiet, not much vibration.  That being said, now I am hearing other noises.  Might just have to lube up the other bearings - or get the mechanic son-in-law to do!!!

Offline Heli_av8tor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 12:07:39 pm »
In another post it looked like the Pegas clamps come with new bushings so you didn't need new ones from DeWalt.

Is that correct?

Tom

SMF

Teknoromi