Author Topic: sticky situation  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
sticky situation
« on: September 20, 2018, 11:14:29 am »
Does anyone know of a wood glue that will accept stain in case of a squeeze out on a glued together project? :-\
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Octoolguy

• View Profile
Re: sticky situation
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 01:33:49 pm »
The question is not whether the glue will accept stain. It's the problem of how it accepts it and the difference in color or shading that will occur. I have had problems in the past where even after wiping the stain away with a wet cloth, there was still a very thin residue left behind in the pores of the wood and it showed up when staining. It took the stain but the color difference was very obvious.
Dewalt 788 Type 1, Hegner Multimax 18E, Excalibur Ex-21

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 04:36:57 pm »
There are several out there that say that they accept stain but it has been my experience that there is a significant difference between the wood that does not have any glue squeeze out and that which does not.  One of the ways I have been able to avoid that is to stain area where I am going to be gluing and use a clear glue when I do glue, that or spend time doing a through clean up of an squeeze out.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 05:27:51 pm »
In 15+ years of wood working, I have never seen or heard of any such glue.

The secret is to not get glue in the wrong place to start with. You can either stain before gluing and using tape to keep stain out of planed glue areas OR glue before staining using tape to keep glue out of planed stain areas.

Glue and stain (or paint) do not play well together and I doubt they ever will because they both want to live in the same pores of the wood to do their job and there is not room for everyone. :)
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 09:34:44 pm »
Code: [Select]
Glue and stain (or paint) do not play well together and I doubt they ever will because they both want to live in the same pores of the wood to do their job and there is not room for everyone. :)

That is the best answer I have ever seen Roger!  Totally correct and wonderfully succinct.

Karl

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 11:40:09 am »
 ;D Thanks guys .  I was afraid that those would be the answers.  Guess I was just hoping for some new miracle glue. 

Well said Roger  ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Rockytime

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 08:35:18 pm »
I do not know about glue and stain but in pen making I have  tinted epoxy with acrylic paints. This will probably not not help you but I just toss it out anyway.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 07:48:17 pm »
Thank you Karl and Judy for the nice comments.
I'm just a grumpy old man that always comes off sounding (reading) like a "Smart@$$" but, as the umpire says. "I just call them like I see them".
I have been wood working and scroll sawing as a hobby for about 20 or more years and can't do it any more due to COPD but, I do still read a few web sites and try to be helpful to people when I can be.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 12:06:18 pm »
Hey Roger. Sorry to hear you don't make sawdust anymore.   How about you and I get together, I'll cut and sand, You glue and stain??  ;D ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 05:37:20 pm »
Sounds good Judy. I could go for that. :)
Which brings up an off subject story....I built an old fashioned country windmill for our back yard several years ago. It has withstood the Kansas winters and wind for a long time now but a week or so ago, one of the blades came out and left it looking like a toothless grin.
I thought, "no problem, a stepladder and a little Titebond III and we are good to go." Well guess what, I'm out of TB3 ! OK, off to Lowe's I go for the smallest bottle of TB3 they make (I'm not needing more than 6 drops at the most) Guess what, the ONLY bottles of Titebond III are QUARTS!....Anyone in need of some good water proof glue ? Haha

SMF

Teknoromi