Author Topic: Pattern removal cost  (Read 3708 times)

Offline mwilson

• View Profile
Pattern removal cost
« on: July 24, 2018, 11:34:45 am »
Is it more cost effective to use a spray adhesive and a Harbor Freight $14.00 heat gun to remove the pattern after cutting instead of using blue painters tape? I would still use clear tape for lube on top.
     I'm wondering what else I would use a heat gun for.

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
Re: Pattern removal cost
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 03:18:49 pm »
I use spray adhesive and mineral spirits. The only time I use tape is when I stack cut

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 06:22:10 pm »
Use the peel ang stick from walmart a lot cheaper than blue tape and you don’t have to use packing tApe

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 07:20:12 pm »
I use a heat gun to shrink wrap my puzzles, or other items I give as presents or put on consignment with a local gift store.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline mwilson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 09:02:43 pm »
Thanks, guys.   Truth be known, I'm probably just looking for an excuse to buy another toy.  Yes, tbolt, I just watched Steves' youtube video on the peel 'n stick at Walmart and I'm going to pick some up tomorrow. Then I need to sit down and introduce myself. Been lurking for along time.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:10:19 pm »
When using a heat gun you still have a little bit of glue residue that you either have to remove with mineral spirits or sand.  I use this method when dong Intarsia as I know I am gong to sand anyways.

I use the clear peel and stick if I know I can get good adhesion and I am not going to have real close lines.  I find it will lift.  I also find I don't get best adhesion with Baltic birch.  It works great on solid wood like scott's puzzles.

I use the blue painters tape on most of my work as I do a lot of lettering and I never have lift up.

I think you have to adapt to what works best on your project.

Offline Larry_B

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 08:47:56 am »
Peel and stick is my preferred method.  Used to use mineral spirits when the pattern was attached directly to the wood, but getting the residue off the detail fretwork without snagging the fine detail as a pain.  The contact paper was a perfect solution.  recommend you try it.

Larry

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 01:03:36 am »
I used those full sheet shipping labels print right on it, cut the pattern out stick it right on the wood and it will not lift off at all, takes a hair dryer to soften the adhesive enough to get it off, and what little bit of sticky is left behind a light sanding takes it off.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 09:03:15 am »
The cheapie peel and stick from Walmart sells here for $8.00 (for clear) and 4.00 for the white, both work real well for photo picture puzzles. I place it on the back side of the photo puzzle, then glue the pattern directly to the sacrifice board  (I use good quality spray 777) and bind the photo and sacrifice board  together with packing tape. this makes release of the packing tape from the puzzle pieces much easier then just using the packing tape. A role lasts for a long time,

Offline gap15102

• You should see what I saw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 09:38:26 am »
I use the same method for all but simple cutouts.  Blue painters tape, spray adhesive on paper pattern then stick to tape,  clear packing tape over all of it.  I push down real hard to get maximum adhesion.

To remove, start on a corner and peal off in one sheet.  The many layers adds bulk and I can get the pattern off in a few chunks.  Not a big fan of having flammable soaked rags around or the cost of the spirits.  This leaves he wood clean of chemicals and adhesives that would show through the finish or need work to remove.  I don't like busy work.

Offline Octoolguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 05:28:18 pm »
I use both the shelf liner and the full sheet shipping labels. But, if I'm in a hurry, I use the spray adhesive and blue tape. I bought a big can of the 3M77 and it works great but somewhere along the line I ended up with a small hand size of Elmer's spray adhesive that I really like. It sticks as well as the 3M but for me, it's easier to maneuver the small can and it seems to come off easier. Just my honest opinion. I also use a Harbor Freight heat gun to just warm the pattern enough to come off easily.

Ray
Dewalt 788 Type 1, Hegner Multimax 18E, Excalibur Ex-21

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 04:21:13 pm »
The cheapie peel and stick from Walmart sells here for $8.00 (for clear) and 4.00 for the white, both work real well for photo picture puzzles. I place it on the back side of the photo puzzle, then glue the pattern directly to the sacrifice board  (I use good quality spray 777) and bind the photo and sacrifice board  together with packing tape. this makes release of the packing tape from the puzzle pieces much easier then just using the packing tape. A role lasts for a long time,

Hi Norm
what dept at walmart can I find the peel and stick paper.
Thanks Jim

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 05:41:38 pm »
With the shelf paper

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 09:18:18 am »
The cheapie peel and stick from Walmart sells here for $8.00 (for clear) and 4.00 for the white,....
Yet another example of things that cost more in Canada....   :(
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 09:59:03 pm »
Howdy,

As far as cost concern, in reality, the blue painter's tape and spray adhesive is the cheapest way to go. You can buy Elmer's spray adhesive at Walmart for a little over $3 a can, and a roll of blue painter's tape is $4, maybe $5, and will complete several projects.

Personally, I have never used the stick & peel, shipping labels, or any of that. I have had good luck with painters tape and spray adhesive. I have tried different kinds of spray adhesive, and to this point, have had the best luck with loctite brand adhesive. It has a lemon smell to it, and takes a light spray on the project.

The secret to spray adhesive on a project to be glued down is not to DRENCH it with adhesive. Just a light spray across the back of the project, allow it to get good and sticky, then place your project on the painter's tape. If you don't give the adhesive those extra few seconds to dry, your pattern will LIFT off the wood during cutting, regardless of what your blade of choice is.

Sawdust703(Brad)

SMF

Teknoromi