Author Topic: Finger Numbness  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
Finger Numbness
« on: May 30, 2018, 08:35:39 am »
Does anyone else ever experience a numbness or steady tingling in their fingers as a result of time spent with their scroll saw?

For the past several months, I have a constant numbness or tingling in the fingers on my right hand.  It's not painful at all.  I guess the best way to describe it it that it kind of like the feeling you get after you foot or arm has 'gone to sleep' or, in your lips after a Novocain injection following a dental visit. I'm not sure if it's from my scroll saw addiction or, if I might have some other issues going on.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Finger Numbness
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 09:17:22 am »
It could be anything from a minor irritation to something more serious.  I'd suggest you check with a doctor, just in case there might be, or lead to a more serious condition.  It might also be as simple as taking a break more often.

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 10:34:33 am »
Agreed with Jim - that has the potential to be something serious.  Medical advice would be a good idea.
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 04:19:25 pm »
Dennis that sounds a bit like the beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome.  You should have that looked at just to be sure.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline WynnD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 06:28:52 pm »
the c6 (I think) vertebra being out of place will  do that. Maybe a chiropractor can help.  Bending over and  turning suddenly can cause a slight dislocation   That may bring on numbness.  Stand against a wall with your spine firmly against the wall and raise both arms while concentrating on keeping your back against the wall. When you can raise your arms without any catches or pain you may find the numbness is gone. Not a medical or pseudo practitioner of any kind so take the above for what it is worth

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 08:24:57 pm »
You should pay close attention to which fingers feel tingly, and if it's the thumb, index finger and middle finger, those are the signs of carpal tunnel syndrome.  The ring finger and little finger generally don't have the problem.  The surgery is no big deal...I've had it done on both hands.  Just make sure you have a GOOD hand surgeon who's done plenty of them.

Good luck, and I hope it gets better on it's own.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 08:28:29 am »
I do a few hand arm stretch exercise and break every hour or so this seems to help me 

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 08:40:01 am »
Thanks for your comments.  Kind of sounds like I need to get an opinion from my doctor.

Thanks again.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 11:56:41 pm »
try some acupuncture along with your chiropractic services. you might find that it'll help with the numbness & tingling.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 09:49:47 pm »
I get cramp in my fingers from holding the wood down normally when it is cold

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 04:58:20 pm »
Good news.  No 'carp in my tunnels'.  The problem goes away when I don't saw for a few weeks and resumes when I start sawing again. It appears that it's a response caused by frequent tightening of the blade holders (T-knobs) on my Hawk saw.  I need to look around and see if I can find some different knobs to fit on the tighteners.

Dennis

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 12:53:49 pm »
Dennis, if you find a solution for the Hawk let us know. My fingers do not get numb, but my arthritis in my thumb and wrist goes crazy if I have lots of interior cuts on a project. I am sure it is also due to the constant tightening and untightening of the blade.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline Octoolguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 01:52:07 pm »
This may be too simplistic but it could also be brought on by vibration from the saw itself. I hope you keep us all updated on how things change.

Dewalt 788 Type 1, Hegner Multimax 18E, Excalibur Ex-21

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 08:30:05 am »
Update:

At this point, the numbness still seems to be directly related to the amount of time spent on the saw.  The issue could indeed be a combination of the 'knobs' and machine vibration.  I haven't changed the tightening knobs yet.  I haven't spent much time looking for replacements but, I'm thinking about replacing the existing knobs (they're actually just T-nuts) by removing the plastic part and then using an allen wrench to tighten them.

Dennis

SMF

Teknoromi