Author Topic: Tolerances  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Shufflex

• View Profile
Tolerances
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:41:45 am »
Hi folks,

I have been playing around cutting some scrap wood trying to cut a straight line.

What are acceptable tolerances?
At first I was cutting over an inch away in some places from the drawn line, I know, but in my defense  I'm new to all of this, I have now cut the last 3 with results that made me unsure as to move on to curves and circles. My Straight lines are straight in places and miss the line by about 1/16 - 1/32 on both sides of the line creating a wave effect. Is this acceptable or should I really be conquering the straight lines fully before moving on?
Asking for help is not a weakness

Offline wedo

• View Profile
Re: Tolerances
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 10:27:45 am »
I have found that following a straight line is harder than curves, practice on both. My first suggestion is to slow down the feed rate to learn to let the blade cut without forcing it. Also practice with thicker woods 1/2" or 3/4" will also help, thinner woods are more difficult to maintain control. My $0.02!

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 12:09:39 pm »
Also, remember there is a tendency for scroll saw blades and with band saw blade to have drift to one side.  In most chases you cannot feed straight into the blade, the piece of wood has to be a s slight slant.Bottom of the piece of wood to the right a little.  Also remember that cutting a straight line is one of the most difficult things to do with a scroll saw.  That is why I think, at least to me word art is more difficult than detailed fret work.  If you "wonder" a little from a line in fret work, it isn't going to be noticeable there are rarely straight lines.  With letters it is more noticeable.  If you wonder a little don't panic and try to go immediately back to the line, go gradually back to the line.  Sudden curves back to the line will show up more that an gradual one. Make sense?  Not sure I am saying it clearly.
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 02:01:25 pm »
Tolerances will vary depending on the pattern.  Some patterns are so finely detailed, or contain shapes (like letters), where much variance from the line will spoil the look.  Others are more forgiving.  Bottom line is that once you remove the pattern, no one knows exactly what the original was supposed to look like.  The only standards you need to meet are yours (or if making a gift, those of the recipient).   Practice will make it easier to follow the lines, but even the most experienced scroller will wander a bit from time to time.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Shufflex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 03:57:58 pm »
Many thanks for all the replies, again I have picked up some invaluable tips

Thank you

Gary
Asking for help is not a weakness

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 08:16:45 pm »
I teach beginner scrolling at our club and I always say the 2 hardest cuts are a straight line and a perfect circle.  I explain why and usually say 5 degrees on a straight line.  the first practice cut is the straight line then we cut a curves of a bear.  It is easier to cut curves and then secret number 1 is that when you miss the line ease back to the line as when the pattern is removed only you know.

I tell everyone that it is worthwhile to take a look at Steve's instructions at

ttp://www.stevedgood.com/school/sss.html

Plus follow the course by Shelia Landry at

http://lumberjocks.com/scrollgirl/blog/series/4134

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 10:47:54 pm »
My final $0.02 on tolerances - once you become accomplished (I'm still working on that) you should be able to cut just off the line or on the line (when you want and need to). Now to keep working on technique.

SMF

Teknoromi