Author Topic: Cutting veins  (Read 2215 times)

Offline OPi

• View Profile
    • Mahogany and Birch
Cutting veins
« on: March 10, 2016, 10:16:25 pm »
Need some suggestions about blade size for cutting veins. The pattern is a bighorn sheep and most of the detail are veins. Not too thin, not too thick??? Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Turning itty-bitty lines into sawdust. There is a fine line between aweSOME and aweFUL (this is especially true when using a scrollsaw).

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Cutting veins
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 08:25:27 am »
I would suggest a 2/0 spiral.  If you are not familiar with spirals, practice first on a scrap piece.  There is a learning curve.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 09:22:58 am »
Depends a little on the pattern.  If the veining is very close together, then a smaller blade is better.  The previous suggestion of a 2/0 spiral is a pretty good starting point.

If you aren't comfortable with spirals, you can use straight blades.  Again, the size depends on the detail in the pattern.  Some folks even first cut the vein with a straight blade, then follow up with a spiral, to open it up a bit.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 08:39:22 am »
I am not doing fretwork.  I do a lot of inlay and some veining is involved.  I just use a #5 straight blade.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline OPi

• View Profile
    • Mahogany and Birch
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 09:47:31 am »
I used a #5 like Jim said.  I thought it turned out very well.  My dear sweet wife said it was aweSOME.  There is a fine line between aweSOME and aweFUL (this is especially true when using a scrollsaw).
Turning itty-bitty lines into sawdust. There is a fine line between aweSOME and aweFUL (this is especially true when using a scrollsaw).

SMF

Teknoromi