Author Topic: Height saw setup  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
Height saw setup
« on: January 03, 2016, 06:53:32 am »
Hi Everyone,

I have my Hegner mounted on a almost 35" high table (own build) and it's mounted on an angle towards me so the height of the saw-surface is 41"
(Hegner has a Standard machine stand 31?? high. Short stand height is 20?" high.)

When scrolling most of the times I sit on a kind like bar-stool and the height of the seat is 31,5" so I have a supports to put my feet on.
I also did build a support on the stand to place my foot switch on.

Works OK, but always think, why didn't I use a lower setup.
Also looking if the distance between seat and saw-top is good, eye/saw-blade  on the work and the height for neck and shoulders is good.

So, just wondering on the setup each uses:

Do you sit or stand scrolling?

do you use a foot switch?

What's the height of your seat?

And the height of the saw-surface?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:58:12 am by Marcellarius »
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Re: Height saw setup
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:15:26 am »
Hey Marcel....Boy you up early with questions to make one have to think.  Catch yas later. 

Feet on the ground as you sit.  Comfortable adjustable chair (computer type)
Foot switch on the ground. 
Table tilted towards you.
Height of saw table at front to be elbow level.

Window behind table.  Gotta view Gods works outside and look at the roses during Scrolling.  :+}

Gotta have space on both sides of the Scroll Saw.  And lots of foot room below the table. 

Well this be just....My Thirteen Cents Worth..........................................................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 08:25:56 am »
I like to work standing, height would vary with the users I'm 5'10" and the dewalt 788 on its stand with wheels that i added is good for me. Do not like foot pedals

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 12:22:39 pm »
Front edge of table at 39" tilted up toward the back.
Sit on a bar stool with window directly behind the saw.
Foot peddle on the floor for ease of use (although it does move around some) so both hands can control the material and I don't have to stop and use a hand to stop the saw.
Been using the same set-up for 10 years and never felt the need to change anything. I will admit that after using the same set-up for so long and you get so used to it, there are probably better things to try but, I'm just too lazy to do anything about it. :)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 12:28:39 pm »
I agree with what Roger said.  I've been using my setup so long anything else seems foreign to me.

Table of saw at elbow height, tilted forward.  Foot switch mounted to leg of saw stand so I can use knee to turn on and off.  Extra lamp beside the saw along with dust collection & blade storage etc..
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 02:15:47 pm »
I scroll sitting down.

Wouldn't want to be without my footswitch.

Seat height varies.  I sometimes change it depending on what I am cutting.  For smaller, more detailed pieces, I might sit a little lower and closer to the table.  Helps me see better without hunching over.  If the piece is large and/or not as detailed, I may sit a little higher, making it easier to swing the piece around on the saw.

Front edge of my Dewalt table is 39".

Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 03:28:10 pm »
Being new to the hobby, I am still finding what position, height and whether I sit or stand, would suit me. After reading some of the replies, I am going to experiment a little more. Right now though, my saw sits on a workmate bench and I have an adjustable draughtsmans chair that I use when my back starts to play up.

Dave
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

SMF

Teknoromi