Author Topic: Blade pots  (Read 3080 times)

mrdavidjk

Blade pots
« on: November 04, 2015, 10:28:40 am »
I wondered what everyone uses to store their blades?  most of my blades i get don't come in reusable containers at the moment i keep them in travel toothbrush holders, but i wanted something ore organised

Offline barb e

• View Profile
Re: Blade pots
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 04:59:39 pm »
I keep mine in ziploc bags so I can write on the outside what blade size it is.   The bags just sit on a shelf - need to get those organized!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 05:37:19 pm »
Get a short piece of 2x4 about 12" long or so, glue or screw a piece of 1/4" plywood 3" wide and the same length on the bottom to form an upside down "T". Now drill some 3/8" holes along the length of the top edge of the 2x4 to hold your blades vertical. Leave enough room around the holes to write the blade size that goes in the hole. You can sit it on a table or shelf within easy reach of the saw.
WARNING! You may have to empty it of blades and dump the sawdust out of the holes every year or so. :)
Also keep a covered coffee can near by to put broken, burnt up, worn out blades in. It will hold a TON of blades (well not literally) and can be taken to a recycle center in a few years. Please don't just put blades in the trash where someone can get cut, poked or stabbed with those sharp little suckers. :)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 10:00:22 pm »
I made a sort of "Spice Rack" & attached it to the wall side of where I sit.  Blades in empty drinking water bottles.  Print & scotch tape what blade is on the side of each bottle.  A rubber band around the top & bottom of each bottle.  Store "slightly used" blades under the rubber bands.  Whatever type blade I am using, I turn that bottle upside down as a reminder.  Costs next to nothing and I like it.

jerry

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 09:47:39 am »
Since it seems there are a lot of pill bottles around this house, I have put them to use.  Cut the center out of one lid, then pill bottles screwed in from both sides.  Just the right length for blades and I put the paper copy of blade info inside.

Offline RangerJay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 09:43:15 am »
I purchased a couple sets of 6" plastic test tubes with stoppers from Amazon (very inexpensive) and use stick-on mailing labels to identify each kind of blade.

Jay

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 03:06:11 pm »
I have this set of blade storage tubes from Sloan's.
http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/scroll_saw_blades.htm  (near the bottom of the page)

I made a 2 tiered holder for them out of some scrap.  I'm thinking I need to buy another set because I have too many sizes and types of blades now.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

cowboysfanatic

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 02:50:53 pm »
I LIKE TO USE OLD SPICE CONTAINERS THEY HAVE HOLES IN THEM FOR DIVIDING OR U CAN TAKE TOP OUT AND USE IT THAT WAY. WORKS FOR ME PRETTY DECIENT.

bobh47955

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 10:02:45 am »
I have magnets on the side of my scroll saw stand. They will hold a ton of blades. I may go to a different type of storage later but for now they are handy when I need a different one.

SMF

Teknoromi