Author Topic: Wet Wood  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Wet Wood
« on: March 22, 2015, 06:01:56 pm »
Well, UPS left my order of Baltic Birch at my gate and I discovered it the next morning after we had 5" of rain!! The shipping carton literally fell apart when I picked it up! It was had been shrink wrapped, but the water found a small hole and of course the wood was soaked on one end. It was 10 pieces of 1/2" x 12" x 24" BB and about 6" of one end was soaked. Can this wood be salvaged? I have a call into the vendor and they will need to file a claim I guess. But, I really need the wood now, so was just hoping after drying, if the wood could still be used or will it warp and will it still cut ok?

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Wet Wood
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 06:30:53 pm »
Tony Baltic birch is made using marine glue for gluing the piles together so it should not separate.  I personally would put it under a flat weight and dry it flat.  Getting it wet should not adversely affect the cutting if it if you can keep it from warping.

One of the things you might wish to make Tony is a covered, elevated drop for things like your wood delivery.  You also might want to take photos of the damage in case you need to send them to the shipper or supplier when they file a claim on the shipping of the wood to you.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:04:49 pm »
UPS just gets worse and worse it seems. I am so sorry that happened to you. Last time I ordered 100 corrugated boxes (they arrive flat and fold together) the UPS girl had just thrown them on the deck when it was pouring rain. They were only bound together with that saran wrap stuff like they use at home depot. Many of the boxes were ruined. I called Uline and they refunded the $78.00 shipping fee, but I was pretty upset.

I would file a claim with UPS or at least call your local office and let them know you aren't happy. You know - in the long run we pay for those replacements with higher costs for everyone. Just because the delivery people are too lazy. :/ 

I hope you can use it.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

pddesertrat

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:54:05 pm »
I agree with DW.  Let it dry, if you can lay it flat and put some spacers between the sheet so they get air circulation.  I'd be concerned about water stain.  If you can get it replaced I certainly would unless you plan on a paint finish.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 06:14:33 pm »
Well, the wood, most of it, has dried and does look fine, but, the vendor has not returned my calls or email! I will give them one more day to contact me. If they do not,  will never order from them again!

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 02:55:46 pm »
If you have a micheals near by they have baltic birch if need some wood now to start, its where i get mine from, its smaller bits like a 12x12 or a 12x24 but suites me fine for my projects. They have thickness from 1/8 to 3/4? maybe 1/2 in the thickest they have.

SMF

Teknoromi