Author Topic: Another Aussie, however soley focused on Clocks/  (Read 1390 times)

ShenLun

Another Aussie, however soley focused on Clocks/
« on: March 05, 2015, 12:15:30 am »
Good Morning Sir

I have been in the horology "game" for about 8 years in and out, as I am
considered to old to be an apprentice (34). So I love watchmaking and
clocks, but their isn't much of a call for them these days unless you
have a big workshop.

Recently I have been put on the disability pension due to a medical
negligence case from my neurosurgeon and I am unable to work full time.
Last year an older gentlemen taught me the 'art' of fretwork and I love
the idea of making things by hand. Would you think it's still
"hand-made' if I use a scroll saw or should I stick with the fretsaw.
Again this would cut down the machinery I have to buy, which is my main
driving focus at this stage.

So this is my goal for this year is to make my first hand built clock,
but no quartz movement 100% mechanical (wooden).

If this becomes any kind of commercial success (probably selling on
demand) do you require a percentage of the profit? ( I am most happy to
do so).

Kind Regards
Scott

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Another Aussie, however soley focused on Clocks/
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 06:11:33 pm »
Scott - I'm sorry to hear of your health issues, but happy to have another scroller in the mix.

I think most people here would consider it hand made even if you use a scroll saw. It will likely be a better product than can be cut with a fretsaw or coping saw. The speed of the blade and the ability to control the workpiece is pretty remarkable on a good scroll saw. I also doubt that anyone here would look down on a nice project cut with a hand saw.

Wooden clocks can be beautiful works of art and by necessity are pretty big (like Victor Frankenstein, you just can't get it to work that small). My impression is the accuracy is not all that great (a few minutes per day), but they can be electrically regulated with a simple electromagnetic circuit and tickler using either a watch crystal at 32768 Hz (for DC power) or the 60 Hz power system (or is that 50 Hz down under? I always forget).

Usually if you buy a plan from someone you have the right to make and sell the piece, but not to sell the plans. If you make your own plan, or set up a team of scrollers to develop a plan, then there's no one to pay a royalty to. That would be an interesting team to work on - if you do set one up, I'd be happy to lend a hand.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

ShenLun

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:47:12 pm »
Good Afternoon EIEIO

Thanks for your words or encouragement, I have checked out BOTH brian law and clayton boyle, who say that even though I have BOUGHT the design off them, I am not allowed to sell my works at the markets (which is my intended goal). I have a number of the fretwork clocks, with quartz inserts, but as my previous vocation, before my disability was a watchmaker's assistant I prefer the mechanical clocks, then the quartz one.

Short of pulling apart a movement and tracing each wheel on top wood, I don't see another way, and even then technically it as (for example) A Hermle movement and they may want a piece of the cost (which is fine, I just don't want to end up on a lawsuit which I can't afford on a disability pension).

Kind Regards
Scott

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 06:49:20 am »
Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum Scott. Hi I'm Russ from Florida, I am glad you found us. A day without saw dust is like a day without sunshine.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 06:55:45 am »
There are a few good gear clock books out there and scrollsaw magazine has had a couple of clock patterns over the years.  You are not allowed to sell the design but can absolutely sell the clocks you make from them.  We have a member, Malc, who has made a couple and shown us step by step how he has done it.
Anyway, welcome to the forum, Scott.  I'm Julie from Texas.  We are glad you are here.

SMF

Teknoromi