Author Topic: Cutting inside and outside corners on a Scroll Saw  (Read 5534 times)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Cutting inside and outside corners on a Scroll Saw
« on: February 14, 2015, 10:34:18 am »
If you have a few minutes check out my latest video on You Tube on Cutting inside and outside corners on a Scroll Saw. Thanks for watching and please subscribe.  :)   Simply Wooden Creations S01:E02
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline lanemaux

• "Doctor Who" beats "The Voice", always!
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting inside and outside corners on a Scroll Saw
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 11:21:36 am »
Thanks Russ , nice video. I think I will go with the clear and cut method (#3) as with my thick and clunky pinned blades it seems the most logical. I'm still new saw smell new to this and very much appreciate the clear concise demonstration style of your video presentation.
Murphy was an optimist

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 12:04:50 pm »
Well done.  I usually use method number 3.  However have used all of them.  Thanks for sharing.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

UHMNL

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 12:13:21 pm »
Here is one more Russ.

How about cutting corners?

Some people just spin the blade around, this will leave a round corner. I don?t like that. If you do spin the wood, make sure you stop cutting, but keep the saw running.   Then, turn the wood with pressure on the back of the blade so it won?t remove any wood while turning.
I like to do it different. There are two lines: line ?A? going into the corner, and line ?B? going away.  Cut on line A all the way to the corner. Then, back out about a 1/4? and turn the blade with the teeth into the waste, start cutting a curve towards line B and then to the corner. A small piece will fall out. This gives you room to turn the blade, put the back of the blade in the corner and start cutting on line B. Try to have the open space to the left of the blade. The right side of the blade has this little burr and will grab faster into the wood. Be careful that it does not get off the line. With some experience you can even utilize this burr to do some sanding if you have a little bump.  Some people like to round the back of the blade.  This is done by running the saw while holding a wet-stone against the back of the blade.

Mike

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 12:55:30 pm »
Thanks everyone. I have used that one to Mike. I wished I had remembered it and put it in the video. I see a remake video in the future. LOL   ::)

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 08:16:52 pm »
Excellent video Russ.  I've used all of these methods at one time or another.  Like you, sometimes I use one or two (or all) depending on the pattern, the wood and the blade.  I mostly use the method Mike mentioned, however.

BTW, it looks like your blower pipe needs tightening.  :)

Karl

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 09:10:24 am »
@ Karl B.

I have used that one that Mike mention to. Like I said I wish I had included it in the video. There is also some other information I wished I had included when filming. It is like your memory stops working when you turn on the camera. LOL  :D  Tried reading from a script in previous videos and was told I didn't look natural, so on this one I tried to wing it.  :o

I use the Delta 40-694. From factory the blower tube comes out on the left side of the saw. I moved it to the right side and extended it for my personal needs. Because of the extension it has a slight movement and I mean slight. You almost can't see it with the human eye but it shows up when I film. So it is fine and doesn't need tightening. It has to do with the frames per second (FPS) the camera films in. You should have also noticed the front rocker assembly and blade chuck seem to be going real slow even though the saw is set to maximum speed 1,750 spm. Again, this is because of the frames per second (FPS) the camera films in.

:) Thanks for your concern though.  :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:43:13 am by Russ C »

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 03:52:33 pm »
You should have also noticed the front rocker assembly and blade chuck seem to be going real slow even though the saw is set to maximum speed 1,750 spm. Again, this is because of the frames per second (FPS) the camera films in.

I missed that, I'll go back and watch again.

As for reading from a script I kinda liked that as you have a set amount of information you want to relay and it's done.  I've seen some videos where people just ramble on never getting the points out in a decent time.  I think you are doing fine.

A topic I wouldn't mind seeing is one on how to make a pattern book like Steve makes for his patterns.

Karl

Keith Sharples

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 05:17:23 am »
Great Video Russ,  Really helpful for "newbies" like me! 

Thanks!

Keith  (Norfolk, England)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 10:19:05 am »
Good instruction, Russ.

One other that I like for inside corners is to use the pilot or bigger drill bit to get a hole in the waste close into the corner, touching both of the lines coming into the corner. That gives room to cut to the corner, back out just a little to the waste hole, then cut into the corner form the other line. The drill press is a controlled cut that is quick. If you use a foot switch on the drill press it makes it easier to line up your hole before drilling.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 05:35:42 pm »
Thanks for a great video.

For inside corners, I do the same as the posting by FD Mike.  However, for outside corners, I cut toward the corner and beyond on Line A.  Make a circle and point back towards Line B.  This leaves one side of wood to align the blade for the second cut.

jerry

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 10:21:44 am »
Good JOb Russ!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi