Author Topic: Oak Leaf Wreath  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Chase

• View Profile
    • ScrollArt by Chase
Oak Leaf Wreath
« on: July 14, 2010, 11:38:51 am »
After seeing some of the original intarsia stuff other members have done, I offer this project which, I must say, pales by comparison.

Here is the ?Oak Leaf Wreath? project.  This is my first intarsia pattern and it is done with appreciation to nature for furnishing the leaves.  I also want thank J Roberts and K Wise for some ideas I used in this project.  I used actual leaves I picked up on my walks in the park to make the pattern.

The 4 different leaves were harvested from the same oak tree.  The same thing must go for leaves as snowflakes; no two are the same.

On another forum, I requested a bow pattern.  Two folks responded with some fine bow patterns.  However, they admonished me to do my own.  Well I got on the internet and fund several.  Used this one (which was clip art) for the project after doing some tracing and hand drawing.

The wreath is about 16? in diameter.  The woods used are cherry, mahogany, oak, walnut and poplar.  The bow is poplar, stained red.  I used cherry stain on cherry, mahogany stain on mahogany, etc. on some of the leaves (the rest were left natural) to get some contrast between the natural woods.  ?? MDF for a backer and finished with satin Deft.  Discovered Old Masters gel stain on this project.  Nice product.

When I posted this on another forum it was suggested that the backer showing through between the leaves was a distractor.  I?m going to figure out a way to correct this by cutting away all the backer that shows.  Another thought is to use my now famous colored balls in the spaces.  Suggestions please.

As always, comments and questions are welcome.

Whadayathnk?

Chase

Pic 1 is the wreath.
Pic 2 is one of the leaves.
Pic 3 is the bow before assembly and staining.

Click on the pic for full view.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Chase--Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

http://home.comcast.net/~chasesmeeks/ScrollArt-by-Chase.html

Offline campasano

• View Profile
Re: Oak Leaf Wreath
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:48:16 pm »
Chase, very clever and I must say really great intarsia. You should be proud as it is beautiful.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Dragonlord85

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 01:07:33 pm »
Hey Chase, After looking at the picture a little more closely I did notice the backer board between the leaves. I think adding the colored balls would be an excellent way of covering the spaces.

daneklund

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:55:04 pm »
Great job Chase.  The suggestion of using the balls to fill in some space is good.  Another possibility would be to add another layer of leaves to give the wreath a little more "body". That would also help to cover the backer board.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 11:46:54 am »
Very nice job on your first Intarsia Chase. 

If you were to make this wreath again I'd:

1.  Add additional leaves and over-lap them to eliminate blank spaces where the backer board shows through. 
2.  On the ribbon, the four small areas that you cut out next to the center knot, After cutting them out I'd sand them down a little, round over the edges, and glue them back in which would eliminate those voids on the finished piece.  Or, as an alternative, just make saw cuts, like you did on the leaves and eliminate the cut-outs. 

Again, Good Job, keep it up.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Dawie

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 12:57:50 pm »
Nice piece of work. Thanks for sharing.
David

SMF

Teknoromi