Author Topic: Ageing new wood to old  (Read 3107 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Ageing new wood to old
« on: November 01, 2014, 04:29:54 pm »
Ok here is what I want to try if i can, I not only scroll but also like to do small woodworking projects. I love the look of weathered wood that old grey look, I have a big dale sr picture that has a frame made from old wood and like it, I want to make some picture frames to go around my kids school pictures, and maybe scroll some design to go on them.

I have read and see the vinegar and steel wool mixture and it does work from what I can see, but how long does the mixture last if I seal it up? Once the mixture is made can you remove the steel wool and it stay the same gray wash? Or do they have a ready made aging solution at lowes that can be used, instead of using the acidic vinegar as this wood will be hanging on the wall and don't want to ruin the wall or turn it gray. I plan on cutting all the parts I need to make the frame and age it together to hide the cut pieces so they don't show. I know I could go hunt down some old fence panels I have tried that already and there is not alot, I thought about this to make custom old picture frames to add to my scrolling.

I am trying to get a winter game plan figured out, to get some extra money since I think our winter is going to be rough and driving a dump truck for work depends on weather I will be off alot this winter if its bad. So I thought why not make picture frames from old weathered wood to sell along with my scrolling.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
Re: Ageing new wood to old
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 06:56:42 pm »
I am of no help with staining, but if you want a new board to have the texture of years of weathering, use a wire brush on an electric grinder.

A different effect is used a lot in Mexico.  Buy boards with as many small knots as you can find.  Take a gas torch and (start lightly) on a knot and feather out on the grain, while lifting the torch.  Set the piece where it can't start a fire, although I NEVER had a problem.

jerry

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 07:51:12 pm »
Can you use old barn wood? I just bought some, pretty cheap. When I cut the 2 1/2" strips I was surprised to see how weathered it looks. I left the nail holes and some pieces still have some whitewash on it.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 08:17:48 pm »
Can you use old barn wood? I just bought some, pretty cheap. When I cut the 2 1/2" strips I was surprised to see how weathered it looks. I left the nail holes and some pieces still have some whitewash on it.

If I could find some I would, kinda like the old fence panels, there have been some posted for free but its 40 panels and must take all, I don't have room to haul 40 fence panels and having to store them and all that, I just want a couple panels, and a few boards of weathered wood. I wonder if place like lowes or the specialty wood place would have something like that. I know of a place that has a bunch of what looks like shipping crates that would be good wood, if I can get it aged.

pddesertrat

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 08:49:37 pm »
I made some vinegar and steelwool mixture several months ago.  It has been on the shelf and is still good.  I used it to blacken wood on some tires I made for a toy car.  It worked great for that.  Took about 3 or 4 days for the steel wool to dissolve in the vinegar.  Them I strained the liquid through a cloth before I used it.  Depends on the wood what it will do.  Do a search on ebonizing wood.  There is all kinds of info on it.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 08:52:42 pm »
Ok sounds like its going to a trial and error deal, I am thinking of using pine since its a soft wood and would take it better than a hard wood, plus pine is fairly cheap if it don't work out, but I plan on getting small bits of wood to try it first then if it works out getting the bigger pieces to start the frame.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 10:27:41 pm »
I have used a stained by OLYMPIC called Driftwood. In the chart at this link
http://www.olympic.com/color/stain-color-and-finish
I see a Driftwood Beige and a Driftwood Gray but, there are others that I
have not seen on the store shelf such as Weathered Barnwood that may be
even more to your liking.
I got mine at Lowes and Menards.
Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse

Shogun

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 09:37:48 am »
They do have aging solutions, like a stain type, but I'm not sure about the chemicals in them. The safest way I know of is by dissolving baking soda in warm water. A cup or two of water and a tablespoon of baking soda, although the amount's vary, and the effect also varies depending on the type of wood. You can check out this video to see the process.....http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/aging-wood-with-baking-soda/?category_name=finishing

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 09:51:39 am »
Yea I seen the woodshisper vid on using the baking soda but his effects were not really a gray effect ot just darkened the wood not really made it gray like it had been sittign out in the weather.

I am in luck though, my parents will be up at the end of the month for the holiday and have some old weathered wood, so I can hold out till then I will have some to work with, I might see about posting a want ad on CL and see if can get ahold of some, in the mean time I may mix up some of my own and try it and see what effect I can get.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 01:41:28 am »
Greetings,
Well, it seems the stains don't quite fit your needs.
Here is a technique to make your own CRACKLE PAINT technique.
Not the same as weathered wood but, hopefully someone will find
the easy instructions worth trying on some of their projects.

http://crafts.creativebug.com/make-crackle-paint-white-glue-1528.html
God Bless! Spirithorse

SMF

Teknoromi