Author Topic: Picture frame book part 2  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Picture frame book part 2
« on: October 17, 2014, 09:41:01 pm »
Don't get too excited but, we are going to CUT THE BOOK IN HALF!  :o
Carefully mark the exact center of the thickness of the three piece book all the way around the perimeter and saw it into two pieces using a table saw or hand saw. I had a thin kurf blade on the table saw which is 3/32" thick if you use a hand saw the kurf may vary but, it doesn't matter. A western style saw may make a thicker kurf and a Japanese saw will make a much thinner cut, but just make sure to stay exactly on the center line and make a nice smooth cut into the "butter" of our sandwich on all four sides and all will be well.
My sandwich started out to be 2-3/32" thick and after cutting it with the table saw it was only 2" thick. NO PROBLEM!

NOW we will install the hinges!
Lay the hinges in the notches and making very sure that the center of the barrel on the hinge is exactly in line with the cut we just made, Mark the hole locations and pre-drill small holes for the screws and install the hinges.
If you are concerned about the screws pulling out of the plywood edge, you may want to put a few drops of superglue or epoxy on the back of the hinge and maybe a drop on each screw for insurance. I did not glue the hinges because I don't think a picture frame will get too much abuse but, some people like the "belt AND suspenders" approach.  ;)

Now we should have a book that looks something like this...

Next, we will make the frame.....

Rog

An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi