Author Topic: Picture frame book part 1  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Picture frame book part 1
« on: October 17, 2014, 09:05:20 pm »
OK! So third time a charm right... I'll do it in segments so maybe I won't loose it all at once.  ;)

Make the "book" out of 3/4" Baltic birch plywood.
Using  a table saw or hand saw, cut three pieces at least 1" larger in (width and length) than the size of the intended pictures.
My pictures were 4' x 6" so my plywood pieces  were cut 5" x 7". Yours can vary to what ever size you want. (even 8" x 10" photos which would make the book 9"+ x 11"+)
On one piece, cut the center out of it at least 1/32" to 1/16" larger than the intended photos by drilling holes and cutting it out with the scroll saw.

Glue the three pieces into a sandwich using the one with the cutout for the "butter" (center section)  ;)

Now cut notches  for the hinges using a router table (like I did) or the table saw or a chisel or the scroll saw.
JUST MAKE SURE that the notches are only as deep as the leaves of the hinges are thick. The barrel of the hinge should stand proud of the wood on the spine of the book. The number and size of the hinges is entirely up to you. I used two 3/4" x 1" hinges but, if your book is larger, you may want to go to larger hinges or even use three hinges.

DO NOT attach hinges yet!  Wait for part 2 for that.  ;D

Rog

An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi