Author Topic: Recovered my EX table top  (Read 4360 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Recovered my EX table top
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:40:01 pm »
I have been having fits with my table top, even though I could wax it that might last a few minutes if was lucky to couple hours, and was also leaving the gray coating rubbing onto the back of my wood, its sands off easy but still didn't like it. I would end up waxing the top twice during a project to try and keep it slick. I had to do something it was bothering me, so i did a research for making metal slick that didn't help, looked up anti friction coatings, no help at all. I remember reading on another forum alot of folks complaining of this, and used formica laminate taped down on there table. I thought too about a thin plastic like lexan or plexiglass even just any thin plastic like material like a milk jug. So on to lowes I went on my hunt.

Now one would think formica be easy to find not so, with all this marble and granite counter tops now, lowes had a basic white formica score, but not for long they wanted 42 bucks for a 4x8 sheet! Really its formica and it was white, so I thought nope gotta find something else, went to the plexiglass, right thinest they had was 1/8 and the sheet I needed was 10 bucks thinner sheet was 20! Wow plastic is high too for what I am going to do with it.

Well I walked by a clearance cart and they had some self stick tiles, yeehaw they were 18inx18in perfect and at 1.75 I couldn't pass it up bought two incase I messed up, wouldn't be at much of a loss, even tested it with a piece of wood slide easy. So for about 4 bucks I was set. Then thought what the heck check home depot maybe get lucky, nope! they don't even carry formica sheets have to be ordered, come on speacial order a small square no way, checked there plexiglass about the same, so skip it, head home try the self stick tile, oh did grab some carpet tape incase the tile don't want to stick any more.

Ok took table off, flip tile upside down to mark on the paper side, flip table upside down as when its flipped over will lined up right, trace table, using a utility knife being careful and going slow taking multiple passes cut out the shape of table even the blade hole, test fit perfect. Oh wait, bolt holes covered up, so out comes the drill bits, get my 4 holes drills, test fit, trim a little now its perfect, checked lines, holes lined up. cleaned table off, stuck tile to table top, put top on wood on floor and step down make sure is stuck good, useing knife again trimmed the ends and around the holes. Mounted top, tested it out works fine, thought why not add a little wax, even better. Did a little project quick cut and its awesome. Even have extra tile when this one gets messed up.

Oh forgot to say, with my luck I did manage to drop or rather it slide the top to floor with a loud bang, aaahh crap, yup ding the end of course its the end that at the front, got out the metal file smoothed the edge, yes paint chipped, of ocurse my luck spend big money on a saw and I ding the table, at least the tile covers it.

So will see how long this last, see if I need to keep waxing the tile top or how often I have to wax the more I use, if don't work then its back to square one, maybe check out some local cabinet shops for bits of formica which is what I should have done but didn't think of it. The tile is about 1/16 to 1/8 thick which ok wanted it thinner but will see how it holds up.

Sorry for the long winded run, it was a heck of idea but hoping it works, and being its tile to be walked on maybe it will be tough and last a long time.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Recovered my EX table top
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:22:15 pm »

It is called "Pragmatic Engineering"!

If it works, Go with it!

~~~GB~~~

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 11:30:40 pm »
Never heard it put that way. Will see what happens I have some other options to try if this don't work I am not out much.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:49:18 am »
I regret not responding prior to this. When I received my DeWalt I purchased a piece of 3/32" Plexiglas, bored a 1/4" hole for the blade, fitted it to the table, marked it with a fine tip felt and cut it with my Dremel. I used two sided carpet tape to keep it in place.  Once in a while I buff it with some Mother's brand car wax. It's worked well since the end of December. Cheers, Barry.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 11:03:41 am »
I regret not responding prior to this. When I received my DeWalt I purchased a piece of 3/32" Plexiglas, bored a 1/4" hole for the blade, fitted it to the table, marked it with a fine tip felt and cut it with my Dremel. I used two sided carpet tape to keep it in place.  Once in a while I buff it with some Mother's brand car wax. It's worked well since the end of December. Cheers, Barry.

Barry,
Be careful using CAR wax on your wood working equipment. Some auto type waxes contain silicone which can cause problems with finishes and glue on wood working projects.
I would recommend you use furniture wax such as Johnson's paste wax or Minwax paste finishing wax. There are other types of finishes to stop rust and keep metal tops slick such as Bioshield, purchased at woodworking stores too.
I will admit that it has never happened to me but, the BIG BOYS warned me before I ever even tried the automotive waxes.  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 01:25:32 pm »
Thanks Rog. I learned the hard way in carpentry that silicone interferes with the binding process with paint and stain but it never occurred to me that there's be an issue with glues... makes sense. Cheers, Barry.

Malistar22

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 03:48:10 pm »
Yup, make sure it's non silicone wax. Also, I find tons of formica counter tops at my local reStore, some of it for free. With a proper bandsaw, I wonder if you could saw the MDF off? Or set up a table saw with dado blades and remove it that way with a jig?

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 05:11:22 pm »
We used to use a heat gun to remove the old formica. The heat softened the contact cement. However, as your not replacing the formica the overwhelming problem would be removing the old contact cement. Cheers, Barry.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 06:40:18 pm »
The last time I checked "Mother's car Wax" only contained carnauba wax which is compatible with woodworking.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 07:01:18 pm »
I have a local restore here done by habitat for humanity never thought about checking there I keep forgetting about the place.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 08:34:50 pm »
Hi Gary. The local Restore is _the_ place to go for cabinet doors. Cut out the interiors for various colored cutting material and router the remaining styles for picture frames. The doors cost me $2 to $5 each depending on size. Cheers, Barry.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 08:39:33 pm »
Yup I need to start going there see what i can find for projects, also need to make a list of cabinet shops for wood scraps, might even get them to resaw it down if they can.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:38 pm »
We've go three cabinet manufacturers and they all send their mistakes to the dump because of insurance purposes... no dumpster diving, no re-sales.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 09:01:20 pm »
We've go three cabinet manufacturers and they all send their mistakes to the dump because of insurance purposes... no dumpster diving, no re-sales.

That sucks, waste of wood and fills up the landfills, at least resale it at a discount recover some of the cost of the mistake and pending the mistake it might be still saleable to somebody that just wants a storage cabinet in the shop or garage.

Malistar22

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 09:56:29 am »
Those cabinet makers should donate them to the reStore! It does seem like such a waste. I love the reStore. I go there probably twice a week to see what comes in. I was able to pick up enough wood and MDF boards to build shelves and racks in my basement for storage. Final cost? $12. For giggles, I priced the same stuff out at our local Menards and it would have cost me over $120!

Also, I went to Menards/Home Depot to buy a bunch of supplies to build my DIY air vac system for my shop. I then went to the reStore and bought some of the EXACT SAME STUFF for pennies on the dollar (their PVC piping is 10 cents a foot). I returned the store bought stuff and got almost $80 back. Long story short, if you have a reStore in your area, you are guaranteed to save money. Plus, you are giving your money to a great organization within your community instead of a box store.  I'm pretty sure the ladies at the reStore know me by name now lol!

SMF

Teknoromi