Author Topic: What type plywood should I use ??  (Read 2453 times)

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
What type plywood should I use ??
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:23:37 pm »
Hi All, 

I purchased this pattern (Enlarged it to 135% & cut the copy off just below the chalice).  It will be a "Landscape" shape.  Will use 1/8" Baltic birch.  Would you nice folks recommend a plywood or MDF core.

http://www.scrolleronline.com/category/s?keyword=7805JZ    I don't know if you can click on the image to enlarge it.

Also, PLEASE make it warm up in Iowa, so my wife can send me into the garage.

Thanks !!

jerry1939

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
Re: What type plywood should I use ??
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:26:49 pm »
I don't care for plywood on some patterns, due to the fiber holes will show. I would cut from a solid board, it's a really nice pattern and looks like a lot of interior cuts. I would be afraid the smaller pieces  would break using a plywood. Hate to see you spend hours cutting only to see it break at the last few cuts. Just my 2 cents worth. Happy cutting.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 09:30:54 pm »
Use the baltic birch you will be glad you did, if I use plywood its for simple projects and get oak ply or birch ply but will go through the whole stack looking at the perfect piece, and then somethings leave with nothing till the next shipment comes in till I find one that is what I want. I have gotten good ply only to get cutting in the middle and find a hole or weak spot ruins the whole the project, and when you find the weak spot yes it will be at a integral part of the patten that needs the strength the hold it up too. Plus I like the way BB cuts, wish I could find it in bigger sheets, my hobby craft stores sell it but at the biggest its like a 2 foot wide maybe by 4 foot long, If I am lucky.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:43:36 am »
I bought some 1/4" cherry plywood with a veneer core and it cut beautifully. It was super easy and for a large pattern I only used one #1 blade. I think I could have stacked 4 of these and it would have still cut easily. There was no burning from the blade getting hot either. The plywood feels cheap but it looked good and cut like a dream. Since I plan on framing it, I think it will work just fine. If I could get this stuff in 1/8" I would.

I'm not sure if an MDF core is the same as the veneer core. Veneer core is made from wood particles but does not seem as dense as MDF.

Great choice of pattern, btw.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 09:17:02 am »
I have had great luck with the oak veneer plywood from the big box stores.  I usually stack cut at least two sometimes three. it is measured in mm but is very close to 3/16". Yes, sometimes there are voids and they will cause grief from time to time.  The top veneer finishes good with most anything you want to use.  I stay away from blo\ms mix as it does not  soak in very well due to the glue used in the plywood. I have used lemon oil, mineral oil, tung oil  -  but my go to finish for this is a 50-50 mix of shellac and denatured alcohol. This finish dries quickly, brings out the grain in the wood and can be re-coated in a very short time. I rub the piece down with brown paper between coats and usually finish with a couple of coats of clear lacquer  Here a full 4 X8 sheet runs under $30.  I have them cut it into four  2' pieces. If possible DO NOT purchase the pre-cut panels as you will be paying a great deal more.  I  purchase the cheap lauan sheets  ( around $10) for backers.  If the piece is going in a frame, I cut them both at the same time on the table saw. This is just my way, you will probably find ways to improve it.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 10:42:44 am »
I don't like the feel of 1/8" for a portrait. 1/4" gives a better sense of the cut, has better weight in your hand, is easier to cut, and is stronger to support thin sections (looks like you have plenty of those). Something like this would look great in solid red oak, and I've found that material very easy for fretwork, but difficult to get very thin lines if cross-grain. It's hard to get a thin piece that has not cupped, but our local lumber yards sell 3/4" red oak cut to length down to 12" long. Menards has their random length 3/4" oak at about $3/bd-ft.

If you use BB Ply, I'd suggest, like Dan, finishing with shellac (Bulls Eye works great). Rub out the 2nd coat with 0000 steel wool dipped in paste wax- it feels like satin and the shellac gives a warm glow.

I hope you post a picture of the finished work - it looks like a great pattern, just in time for Easter.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 05:30:26 pm »
No matter what Species of wood you cut this pattern on I wish you lots of Luck.
With that many inside cuts I would FOR SURE not cut it on ONE single piece.
Using BALTIC BIRCH ply (Good with Good on both sides) 1/4 stack of 2 or
1/8 stack of 4 (My Choice) and mounted (glued) onto a 1/2 or 3/4 nicely
routed piece (to me) would look GREAT....AND.... Would have 4 or them.  Yea!
                                   Just my 13 cents worth................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Malistar22

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 09:51:22 am »
I'm not the OP, but thanks everyone for the info! As a new scroller with little experience, it's good to hear from those who know!

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:38 am »
Baltic Birch or true baltic birch has no voids and is solid clean on both sides no knots, plywood is a veneer with a core sandwiched in the middle, has a risk of voids or pockets, knots and also will warp and bend easy when left sitting BB will not warp it tends to stay straight. BB also will not splinter or tear out as easy as plywood will, oak ply and birch ply is what I mostly use for mine unless its a good piece then will use BB if can find a big enough piece for the job. Laun is really good for a backer or what they call a sacrificial piece put under like the oak ply will keep the oak ply from tearout and splintering and get a clean cut on the back side.

But I use FD reverse baldes to help with getting a clean cut light sanding is required sometimes. Its all what you like and what you want to use, you can get some of each and try it and will see the difference in the woods. Most use hardwood thats solid and use a bandsaw to resaw wood plans to thickness.

ChuckD

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 10:40:03 pm »
1/8 Baltic Birch plywood is the only wood I use for portraits, and I have cut so many that My Dear Bride won't let me hang anymore in the house.  Now they are changed every month or so.  When I cut, I never cut a stack of less than 4 of them.  There will always be someone who "I just love that, will you cut me one?"  Or perhaps donating the extras to your church or clubs for raffles.  I have found that 1/8 fits very nicely in most frames.  One thing more.  If it is worth cutting, it is worth framing and for protection, all of mine are behind glass.  When they are given away (I don't sell anything). I use either the cheap Wall Mart frames or the frames I get at garage sales.  If they want better they can buy it themselves.  I don't glue them to the frames so they can change them.  Good Luck  :)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 09:37:44 am »
For that 'portrait' type pattern I personally would use 2 - 1/8" BB ply and 1 - 1/4" BB ply with a bottom 'throw away' of 1/8" ply. (stack of 4 pieces 5/8" thick)
Stack cut and use FD New Spiral 3/0 blades.
This would give me 3 finished pieces and if the bottom one comes out OK even 4!

High saw speed, fresh sharp blades, VERY SLOW feed rate...don't feed it just gently guide the wood against the blade and make darn sure you have the tension on the blade as tight as it will stand! Those 3/0 spirals are very tiny but surprisingly tough.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi