Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 1566 times)

northie66

Need advice
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:25:01 pm »
I don't want to be a downer here but I could use some advice and I can't find any info via google.

My MIL is very sick as most of you know and she is getting very weak. Well the weaker she gets, the more my back aches.  And also I'm not sure also that I'm handling her in the best way to be able to prevent her fall.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any nursing experience or knows a website that has info to help me learn to care for a weak person and at the same time protect my back and keep her safe.

Thank you!

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
Re: Need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:53:59 pm »
the only website im familiar with is webmd, hope it helps.

Becky

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 08:16:56 pm »
My mother took a fall several years ago and did a number on both her ankles.  When she was taking PT, the therapist used a thick (wide) leather belt.  She'd wear the belt and the therapist would hold on to that in the back to correct balance problems and prevent falls.  We bought a similar belt when they turned her loose from the hospital and it really was a big help.  Just keep a good grip on the back of the belt as you walk along with her.

You might find additional info searching sites about physical therapy.

Rightarm

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:27:04 pm »
    When you bring her out of the bed or a chair, you need to get behind her as much as possible. Cross her arms, then grab her by the wrists, in almost a bear hug. I now some times this is impossible, but lift with your legs, not your back. How much does she way? It may be to much for one person to do on thier own. And God Bless you for being there for her. Dave

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:39:27 pm »
Hey Janet, I don't have any advice for you, Just wanted to say what a wonderful thing you are doing for your Mother-In-Law. It must take a lot of patience and love on your part. I'm sure she appreciates what you do for her!
Dan In Southern California

boxmaker

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 11:51:57 pm »
Janet, first I commend you it is a lot of responsibility. I have some links here. they may or may not help,I did not go through all of them, but it may get you on some other sites in the process. Hope they help.

http://caringforfamilymembers.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_care_for_an_elderly_parent

http://dde.carlisle.army.mil/tcefm/tcefm_index.htm

http://www.healthvideo.com/article.php?id=35

sp_343

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 11:56:36 pm »
I know that when my wife (an RN) use to work in a Nursing Home setting...they had small belts that the nursing staff would wear.  They had seperate part that went around an elderly patient that would then attach to the belt on the nurse.  This would make it safer for the patient and more comfortable and easier on the nurse helping with the movement of the patient.

I'm sure you would be able to find them at a store that sells nursing scrubs, medical supplies, rehab products or something similar.  We have a rehab store in my town and they carry many items like wheel chairs, walkers, and different types of "assist" items.  Check around your area or on-line for "gait belts" or "transfer belts".

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 03:34:46 am »
Janet, ring your local medical center and get proper advice, there is a right and a wrong way of doing this sort of thing, I am sure they will put you rite
Jimbo

Wandascroller

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 06:17:52 am »
Hi Janet
There are also lifting frames that can be used to transfer from bed to chair etc. Ask her Doctor for some info/help available with all of this in your area. Over here, Australia, we have a Home Care Service that helps with daily tasks like showering/bathing. Hope you are able to get some help so you can continue to care for her at home easier.

northie66

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 08:05:09 pm »
Thank you all so much for your advice.  I'm on the right path now and taking alot of the steps you all mentioned.  I can't thank you enough for your help :)

Wandascroller

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 05:08:38 am »
Glade we were able to help you. Keep us posted with how your doing.
World wide aged care advice free to your computer. LOL

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 10:11:07 pm »
if you don't know someone who works at a nursing home just go to one someday, ask the director of nursing any questions you might have 99% of the time they will be very helpful (my wife an x-don)
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

SMF

Teknoromi