Author Topic: Craft Show a Success!  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Craft Show a Success!
« on: November 24, 2013, 08:29:33 pm »
Just want to let you fellow scrollers know that people are still willing to spend money for Christmas on hand crafted items instead of massed machine products. My wife and I began the day very hesitate about selling anything, especially since it was cold and rainy. We were inside, but, the weather was crappy! Well, they opened the doors at 9:00 am and man were we surprised! I sold out of some ornaments in about an hour (took about a dozen each of 30 different ornaments). We sold several crosses and Christmas stand alone figures such as snowmen, sleighs and reindeer, and manger scenes. By the end of the day at 3:30 pm we were ready to shut down; happy, bit tired! The final count was $965.00. The negative side is I have another show in two weeks and have to replace items sold!  But, I am very, very, happy to discover a lot of folks still have interest in items produced by the skills of a person and not machine. I also received about 6 custom orders and just about every buyer requested a card and wanted information about our next show. This is very encouraging to me and my wife and hope it brings the same to you fellow scrollers.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Craft Show a Success!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:39:33 pm »
I'm glad you had a great time Tony and thank you for your words of encouragement. 

Karl

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:44:04 am »
Congratulations!  A successful show gives you that boost to keep going!  Good luck with the upcoming shows.

tdpainter

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:15:23 am »
Thats Great news Tony. Glad it was a successful day for you and your wife. and it is nice to know that there are still people out there that are willing to buy hand made crafts, and getting extra orders is always a plus. Keep up the great work. and I hope your next show is a good one as well.

Travis.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:15:42 am »
 I also had a decent show, didn't do as much as tony did, but still came away happy. Sold some ornaments, crosses,  and a couple clocks, still have plenty of stock for nex weeks show, just have to make more ornaments.  edward

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:27:17 am »
Great to hear you had a successful show.  Yes people still like affordable hand made items.  I have the same success as you had at about five shows a year.  Mostly in September through November.  Keeping the price down helps a lot.  $25 or less works best.  You must be making what folks want at a price they are willing to spend. Good going!
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:42:56 am »
glad to know you did well at the craft show Tony.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 04:34:04 pm »
That is encouraging news.  I have my one and only fall show in 2 weeks.  Congrats on the great sales.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 08:40:52 pm »
That's great. Congratulations on the show.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 03:52:48 pm »
Congrats. Tony.  I was Pleasantly Surprised and Happy in the end with selling as much as I did.
I only do ONE show in Nov. each year.  Christmas spending. 

JIM....I sort of agree with you on keeping prices around $25 or lower.  Anyway....Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 04:39:14 am »
Wow congratulations Tony.  That is an awesome Christmas surprise.  Best of luck on your next show.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Wheelchair@53

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 12:05:39 pm »
Congratulation Tony, wow you had a lot of stock... still new to scrolling, how far in advance do you start building stock for this time of year?

John
wheelchair@53

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 04:01:55 pm »
John, I usually start getting my inventory ready for Christmas around the first of August. My Christmas shows usually start the last week of October or first of November. I do a couple of fall festival type shows in October, so, I don't want to be pushing myself getting ready for Christmas. I have to keep reminding myself, this is a hobby and the funds received are for new "toys" for the shop! LOL Of course my wife has to have her "toys" too!!

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 09:22:08 pm »
Last year I started making projects, for sale in the fall,  in January.
 I have filled three large (25 units each) custom orders in Oct. and Nov. this year,  had no problem filling them and still have stock to sell through the end of this year.  Storage space is an issue for sure.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi