Author Topic: Any one know what this is?  (Read 1072 times)

Graywolf

Any one know what this is?
« on: February 14, 2013, 03:56:36 pm »
When my wife was a small girl (we are 68 now). A neighbor gave her this box (she was 80 at that time). She treasures it of course. We have been told that it is a letter writing box or even a music box. I don't think it is a music box. There isn't a hole in the box anywhere. I am thinking of asking antique road show if they would know what it is. I know there are master craftsman on our site, so I am asking you folks.

Gary

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: Any one know what this is?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:11:25 pm »
With the mirror inside the lid, I would think it might be a jewelery box. But I'm just guessing.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:34:10 pm »
I have one exactly like your.  A neighbor gave it to me back in the mid-fiftys. I wouldn't part with it for the world. It's a jewerly box.  I use mine in the bathroom to hold odd and ends. Reminds me of my dear sweet neighbor who used to babysit me as a child.  Sweet memories!!
ChelCass

IBMer

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 06:12:37 pm »
Mom has a couple similar ones that she got in Italy in the 1950s.   Jewelry boxes.   I think her's have small trays that fit inside.   The mirror looks like it may have been replaced.   The etching looks newer in nature.

J.

Graywolf

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:17:31 am »
Chelcas, my wife feels the same about hers. It brings found memories to her. She keeps it on the head board holding trinkets and things.

Thanks everyone for responding. We always called it a jewelry box.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 05:59:09 pm »
I used to have one just like that. ...wonder where it is...............?
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi