Author Topic: Decal Paper  (Read 1456 times)

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
Decal Paper
« on: January 21, 2013, 07:56:17 pm »
I was watching a video on U Tube and they mentioned a type of paper with a plastic surface. You can type what you want on this paper, cut out the image, submerge it in water, the decal seperates and you can apply it to the item. I am thinking this would be a great way to personalise all the pens I will be making.  ;D ;D. Anyone got info to share on this?
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Decal Paper
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:02:58 pm »
I've made several pens with decals (also called water slides) on them. It's really quite simple. Once you get the design printed on the decal paper, let the ink set for a while to dry. I let mine set for about an hour (probably overkill). Then spray it with a bonder (I use Tester's bonder but I think any clear lacquer will do.) Let that dry per the bonder directions. Cut the design out leaving a little extra room around the perimeter. Put in water for about 10 seconds then set it on a paper towel for about a minute. The water will allow the decal to slide off the backer (hence the term water slide). Put the decal on the pen and make sure you rub all the water and air out from under the decal. I use a small acid brush or artist paint brush. Oh yeah, make sure the pen is sanded and has a few coats of CA for the decal to adhere to. The pen should also be fairly straight (not bulbous). Once everything looks good, just let it dry over night. I then finish with CA as normal.

Here are some examples.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:06:15 pm by Dan26 »
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:40:04 am »
WOW they look nice.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:40:55 am »
I hope some day to make pens as nice as that. They are beautiful. Thanks for the inf
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline paul44224

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:05:34 am »
Those pens look great, Dan! Thanks for the decal tips!

Paul

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 06:35:05 am »
Dan,  what method do you use for your ca finish?
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

SMF

Teknoromi