Author Topic: question about pop ups  (Read 1664 times)

grampa sawdust

question about pop ups
« on: January 20, 2013, 07:11:27 pm »
On my Lap top everytime I turn it on I get a pop up form Oracle America,Inc and Mcfee puts it up as they want to belowed to change things to download in the hard drive the in the right lower corner a up date for Java. Not being real smart with computers and mainly a turner oner and user I am not sure what it is about. I just say no and close them. It is however getting old. What is that about?

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: question about pop ups
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:31:59 pm »
You can update Java, just watch what you are clicking when clicking install, it will add McAfee with it, you can uncheck the box to not get McAfee but still get the java update. Is that what you wanted to know?

grampa sawdust

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 06:41:18 pm »
I think maybe. I already have Mcafee and have for a long time. I just was not sure whether it was safe to up date Java and had no clue what Oracle is.

king310

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 06:52:47 pm »
If you have Mcafee it is scanning any programs that are trying to up date. Oracle, MS, java all have automatic updates. The computor is just asking permission to allow it to happen.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:09:29 am »
Hello King....And All....  I checked my Un-install area and I DO NOT HAVE A ..JAVA..
Listed.  I guess it has never been on my PC.  Is Java a Important thing to have?
                                  Learn something new everyday.  LOL  Tks....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:13:06 am »
Most sites need java to work right, more than likely you have java installed.

countryscroller

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 08:23:21 am »
how do you get pop ups off the web also. like on facebook and youtube, stupid pop ups come up.

grampa sawdust

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 07:23:54 pm »
Thank you  for your answers I will update then

king310

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 11:45:33 pm »
Java allows you to play video games, instant messaging and is a platform for many interactive portions of your computer and on websites.
There are numerous free programs that will help with pop-ups ads.  CNET is a helpfull web site for finding help with your different issues. CCleaner is a free program which will clean up you computer. READ about the different reviews from cnet about the programs. ADaware is another program that helps.
everytime you go to a website that site will attach a what is called a cookie
DEF:A cookie is a small amount of data generated by a website and saved by your web browser. Its purpose is to remember information about you, similar to a preference file created by a software application.
While cookies serve many functions, their most common purpose is to store login information for a specific site.

So from time to time you need to delete your cookies, but make sure you write down user names and passwords to the different sites you may login to.

Now that you are completely confused
http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=pop+up+blocker&platformSelect=&tag=srch%3Ba&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows%2CMac%2CiOS%2CAndroid%2CWebware%2CMobile&filter=platform%3DWindows%2CMac%2CiOS%2CAndroid%2CWebware%2CMobile

SMF

Teknoromi