Author Topic: amazing find  (Read 1194 times)

canadasgall

amazing find
« on: January 10, 2013, 04:12:19 pm »
i read in anouther post that one persons junk is someones elses treasure. well i went to a moving out sale the elder lady was getting rid of everything and moving into a home, i noticed a box full of costume jewelry i got the whole thing for 50 cents when i got home i had a closer look and found an adorable charm bracelet when i took a closer look it was marked 24 karat i thought nice so i got it appraised and it is worth 5500.00 WOW!i actually went back to see the lady about it her husband who had passed away had it made in london for an anniversary gift and she no longer had any need for it. so i sold it and offered to take her out for supper but she wanted to go to the bingo instead,then i ordered the limited edition excalibur, got some supplies,and put some away for a rainy day and put the 50 cents back in my yard sale jar i am still totally amazed

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: amazing find
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 04:31:23 pm »
HOOOOly Crap!

What a find!!!

You must have gone to church an extra time or something!

WOW!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 04:45:58 pm »
Wowwwwwweeeeeeee!!!!  That beats any yard sale story I have!  Nice Find  that one of the reasons we yard sale..  You never know!
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

IBMer

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 04:59:02 pm »
I had something very similar happen to me.   A lady saw me out with my metal detector and stopped to ask about it.  Said her husband passed away and left a pile of metal detectors in the closet.  Could I come look at them, and help her sell them.   Sure, I checked around, got her market prices and I even bought some of the smaller accessories.

Then she asks if I know anything about guns.    Why yes, I do.  She shows me a pile of surplus military rifles.  Her husband was with the SBI and enjoyed collecting them.   She says, tell you what, give me $100 and you can take them all...     I thanked her, but explained that if I took her guns for $100 that I wouldn't be much of a neighbor.   At a quick glance, she had a couple civil war long-guns.  She also had a German Mouser with all matching numbers stamped with the swastika.  A Japanese mouser, all numbers matching with the emperor's Lotus Flower stamped on it.   And several other nice collectable long guns and handguns.    I advised her to please take them to a reputable gun shop and gave her a few names, to have them appraised for insurance value.  Who knows, maybe they will make you a reasonable offer on them.   I so could have walked away with 10 grand in guns for $100, but I was a good citizen helping an old lady.

Anyhow, A few weeks later, a friend who bought a metal detector from her, said that she claimed I ripped her off.   It seems that she thought the $25 bucks I offered her for 2 used rock hammers a sand scoop, and used find bag wasn't a fair deal.    Used, banged up hand tools don't exactly hold much value.   I asked her what she wanted, and she told me, I don't know, how much do you offer.   I told her that I had $25 with me, but if that wasn't enough, I could come back another day.   Mind you, all this after I made calls to several metal detector stores for her, and found her a cash buyers for her metal detectors.  Plus I examined her guns and didn't take advantage of her ignorance of firearms.

I guess it's true, No good deed will go unpunished.    Had I given her $100 for all her guns, she probably would have been happy and not talked behind my back.   So much for being a good neighbor...  

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 06:09:04 pm »
If this lady is the one I'm thinking of, she is my great aunt twice removed and I'm her favorite nephew. It would bless her so much if you bought her nephew an EX-21 with some of the left over cash.  ;D
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:43:13 pm »
Nice find Michelle! You must have good Karma!
Dan In Southern California

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:50:53 am »
Wow Michelle you must certainly be a lucky person, me I'm the other way I would have paid the 50c and found out that it was worth 15c.  LOL

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

king310

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 06:49:24 am »
Nice!!!! Can you give me the lottery numbers!!! remember when we made that pinkie swear?? ;D ;D ;D ;D

SMF

Teknoromi