Author Topic: Flying Dutchman New Spiral Blades  (Read 2916 times)

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Flying Dutchman New Spiral Blades
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:09:49 pm »
Has anyone tried them?  What do you think?  I am just starting to try some portrait style cutting and I have some of the original FD blades and also some blades from Garnet Hall here in Canada.  Garnet does beautiful Intarsia patterns and is a good supplier of blades and stuff, especially for us up here in Canada.  I really would like to know what differences, if any you see with the new blades. As a newbie with spiral blades, I wouldn't know apples from oranges.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Flying Dutchman New Spiral Blades
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:17:50 pm »
Sheila, I tried to use them this last weekend, the operative word here is tried! I have never used any other spiral blades so I have nothing to compare them to, but I just could not control them. What I did cut left a very rough cut out. So I went back to flat blades.
Dan In Southern California

UHMNL

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 08:10:14 pm »
I hope this will help somewhat to understand a spiral blades.

All spiral blades are made from regular flat blades. After the teeth are milled in the blade, the blade is heated and then twisted
and then it goes through an oil bath to get the hardness.
If your read "How Blades are Made" on my site, might help somewhat.
Spirals with reverse teeth are made from regular blades with reverse teeth. The blades with flat ends are flattened after they are heated.
The new spiral is also made from a regular blade, however after the teeth are milled, the roll is reversed and then there are teeth put in the back side
of the blade. This makes them a lot easier to control, the others have a mind of their own and like to cut into the soft spots of the wood.
Spiral blade are use when the wood is too big for the saw and they really like them to cut portraits and wild animals and wild live.

The New Spirals out sell the other three I have.

FD Mike

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 08:10:26 pm »
I have used them on portraits and other larger projects. Spiral blades are naturally hard to control. It takes practice to achieve good results. They cut very nice through the wood and was easier to control. I was most impressed with how long they lasted. Spiral blades normally leave the wood a little rough. I am going to try the Spiral Reverse next. It is suppose to help correct the roughness and leave a smoother cut.  8)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:13:11 pm by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

cherie

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 08:47:03 pm »
Mike is suppose to have a newer spiral that is suppose to be easier to control, if anyone has tried, please lets us flat blades know how they do.  I am thinking this is what I need to get when I start the sign again.  I lost my paper so it is not with me at the moment, so I can't say which one it is.  I do know it is on the last fold of the inside!!

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 08:55:34 pm »
""Cherie, Mike is suppose to have a newer spiral that is suppose to be easier to control""    
That is the one we are talking about.  ::)

cherie

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 08:58:14 pm »
LOL.  I am 3 away from 500, Yep that is the blade, I will prob order after the picnic when I have more time.  Thanks Russ, u the man.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 02:57:38 am »
Boy is someone away with the fairies
Jimbo

cloetpatrick

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 03:09:46 am »
I tried all sorts of blades, spiral, cut and cut two-way normal.
I guess it's the same almost worldwide.
I use blades German mark, they are very good and not expensive.
I Prefair far the cutting blades normal, especially as there are several layers.
The spiral blades are not accurate and do a rough cut Deplus they wear out faster. Their price is excessive in relation to quality.
The blades cut both ways, are supposed to leave no burrs in the cut as above and below. I think this is wrong on the contrary, the cut side is up from below the workpiece on the table, which made the room shake and often break the blade.
The price is excessive.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 04:03:15 am »
Good One jimbo.  LMAO really loud.  :o  :o  :o

cherie

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 09:28:39 am »
Jimbo, that is why I sparkle and float so much.  Thanks for the compliments.   ::)

jim stiek

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 10:23:45 am »
I had trouble with the old spirals so I tried the new spirals had less trouble with them, then a machinist friend told me to try pushing at an angle to the blade instead of straight in as with a straight blade made life a lot eaiser you have to ccontrol only 2 directions as opposed to 3 when pushing straight really works, still takes a little practice, as for fussies I put a sacrifical piece on the back or use a torch and burn them off. on thicker pieces I use a sanding mop.

SMF

Teknoromi