Author Topic: Greetings from Orlando!  (Read 3577 times)

Dave W

Greetings from Orlando!
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:21:22 pm »
Hello all!

My name is Dave and I live in Orlando, FL., am a manger at a closed captioning company, and am also a full time student at DeVry University (gotta use those G.I. benefits!) As you will soon read, I am a total woodworking neophyte.  I have been perusing the site for a few days now, as well as drinking in the YouTube videos, and have found some great information so far!  There is so much information to absorb, but sites like this one help out immensely. 

I have recently purchased my first scrollsaw (DeWalt 788 20") after much research and talking to the guys down at Woodcraft.  To tell the truth, I had my heart set on the Excalibur 16", but all they had in stock was the 21" and that seemed to be a tad lofty in price for my very first machine.  Still, I believe in buying quality tools and didn't want a "tester" type machine.  I still might have ordered it and waited for the Excalibur (even though I would likely have had to go online to do so as they wouldn't ship only one unit which was a bit alarming to me considering the price of said unit!), but they really gave me a deal down at WC.  After a nice little discount, I was able to nab a new 788 and stand for a song!

Anyways, looking very forward to picking my new "toy" up next week and getting started in this fascinating new artistic outlet. Before I sign off, I would like to ask the community a few things about prep.  Aside from the obvious things like a quality work light and a foot pedal (not to mention a drill press but I am looking for an affordable american made one :), what other supplies should I surround myself with since I am just starting up?  Some questions would be:

- How many blades should I start with (from the videos it looks like I will be aiming for the FD 3's and the 5's for the bulk of work)?
- For the 788 model, is it still necessary to "tape over" the on/off switch?
- Contemplating buying a Bigfoot arm attachment, but I enjoy creating fixes for problems (like the Big Toe I saw on the boards!).         Opinions?
- Is there a particular grit of sandpaper that you really tend go through scrolling?
- Are back-up blade chucks a convenience, or mandatory?

Etc.

Anyways, sorry about the wall-o-text.  It is nice to meet everyone and thank you once again for providing so much great info on this site.  I look forward to conversing with everyone!

Dave

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Greetings from Orlando!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:51:04 pm »
Hey Dave, Welcome to the forum! I'm Dan From Southern California. Come on in and join the fun!
1. Buy a gross. You can mix any size of the same type to make up a gross.
2. If you are going to use the foot switch, yes, tape off the switch to keep dust out.
3. If you learn to top feed, that is feed the blade from the top of the saw instead of feeding from below there is no need for a big foot or arm lift attachment.
4. All wood needs to go through grits from at least 100 to 150 to 220 and sometime 320.
5. You will not need back up thumb screws for a while. They should last you six months to a year depending on how much you use your saw. Sand the ends of the blades with a folded piece of 220 grit sandpaper to remove the oil on the blades and the clamps and thumb screw will last a long time.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 05:03:29 pm »
Hi Dave, welcome to the Forum. I'm Keith from Cornwall U.K.
With reference to your blades, I think everyone has their own preference with what they are comfortable using. My own preferences are Flying Dutchman FD-UR blades no's 1, 2 and 3, I have also a small stock of no's 5 and number 1 spiral blades. I think the best person to speak to would be Mike at www.mikesworkshop.com , he can answer almost any question on blades you can put to him.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 09:50:38 pm »
Hi Dave,Welcome to the Forum.I am Mahendra from India.
As you can see the answers have started pouring in to your questions :) Not to worry!
The members will guide you every step of the way :)
Mahendra
mahendra

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:04:19 am »
Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum . Hi I'm Russ from Mulberry Florida, I am glad you found us. A day without saw dust is like a day without sunshine.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:49:28 am »
Welcome Dave! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas. I have only been scrolling since March, and, like you, asked a ton of questions and watched all of Steve's videoes. I had never even seen a scroll saw. In fact, I was searching the web for advice on tools and equipment to build bird houses, dog houses, etc. Then I ran across this site and became facinated with the scroll saw and with the work of the members here......have been making dust ever since! I am still learning and asking questions and folks here are willing to share their knowlwdge and wisdom of scrolling! Now, let us see some of your work one day and happy scrolling!

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:55:26 am »
Greetings Dave!  You bet - use those G.I. benefits - as many as you can - I did and do.  Welcome from South Dakota and keep on learning.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 08:08:29 am »
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you. 
Congratulations on your new toy.  Get yourself an assortment of blades and find what fits you best.  The bulk of my cutting is with #3, 5, and 7 reverse tooth blades and 2/0 spirals but I probably have 30 different blades in my arsenal - you never know when you need something else.  I didn't run out and buy that many - I just accumulated them over the years.  Sand your wood before cutting, it will save you tons of time later.  I usually go to 220 grit but sometimes I want just a little finer.  Take your time and practice, practice, practice.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:15:28 am »
Hello and Welcome from North Dakota.
I use nothing but spirals.
I'm from North Dakota

jlatorre

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 07:36:32 pm »
hi dave, my name is juan am from Chile, welcome to the forum, hope to see soon some of his works, here you will find all the answers to your questions.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 10:19:35 pm »
Hi Dave from, Bill in St Pete your neighbor to the west.  You have a great saw and have found a great group.  I'm sure you will enjoy both.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 09:22:31 am »
I'm John from Huntsville, Texas.Just as others have said,Mikesworkshop is the best place to buy blades.I buy by the gross and use alot of the #3,#5,& #7.The #7 seems the best size for puzzles.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 09:51:07 am »
welcome aboard Dave i'm Todd from Newfoundland Canada

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

ChuckD

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 04:17:04 pm »
Welcome Dave, from Beautiful Southern Oregon.  Check with Mike at Mikesworkshop.com.  He has an assortment of blades in a single package.  Most (some), (a few) (at least a couple) of us find a couple of blades we like and use them almost all the time.  There are some that you try now and don't like (like spirals) but will swear by (or at) when you get more experience.  So don't be afraid to try any of them.  They are not that expensive.  Good Luck and have phun.

daliclimbs

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 04:08:15 pm »
Welcome aboard! I'm Scott from West Virginia..

SMF

Teknoromi