Author Topic: My progress  (Read 4870 times)

Charlie Dearing

My progress
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:53:42 am »
Folks wanted pics so here are a couple,  The Jesus in the original painting looked kind of feminine lol...so I manned him up a tiny bit:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/artistic_cowboy30/LS-3.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/artistic_cowboy30/LS-4.jpg

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: My progress
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:58:50 am »
Wow, Charlie!  That looks incredible! I hope you post pictures every day of your progress.  It is going to be a beautiful scene.  Do you have to take breaks because your arms get tired from moving the panel around?  Are the bearings or something to help the panels slide over the supports on either side?  It is really interesting to watch it come to life.

Thanks so much, Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 12:07:24 pm »
Thanks Sheila.  Well I wish I had some of those roller stands with a bunch of ball bearings in them.  The problem with the wide roller stands is that it's only smooth flowing if you are rolling the piece in that direction.  It is sitting flat on the table though.  It does take a bit getting use to having your hands further away from the blade than with a little piece.  Also steering the work alot more carefully.

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 12:12:46 pm »
It's already looking great Charlie. Thanks for the pics. I still find it incredible that you are taking on this project.
David

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 12:51:28 pm »
Awesome. Thanks for the pictures.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

cherie

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 06:26:08 pm »
WOW!!!  Your doing a fine job on the piece cowboy.  How long does it take to do a small area like those you showed us?  I guess I will have to try spirals for my huge sign I am suppose to be working on.  What kind of spirals are you using?  I notice that Mike has some that are not suppose to travel so much.  Keep up the great work.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 06:39:28 pm »
It has been so long since I bought spirals that I don't know what kind they are other than Flying Dutchman flat ended.  I don't recall what size.  The area shown done I guess is about half an hour.

Offline Caribbean Scroller

• View Profile
    • http://www.woodartz.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 06:43:40 pm »
Charlie...Charlie...Charlie,you are the man. I cant wait to see the finish product.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 06:48:39 pm »
FYI: Charlie, if you get the chance try the Flying Dutchman - New Spiral. I really like it.   8)

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 06:54:57 pm »
What is the new one, Russ?  I am trying a couple of the ones that were in my drawer but they are older ones? 
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 06:58:07 pm »
Flying Dutchman - New Spiral
A newly designed spiral blade, easy to control and long lasting. 
That is how Mike has it listed on his site.  8)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 07:15:55 pm »
Charlie,
You said that you were stack cutting, how are you holding the two pieces together? Using double sided tape or some other method? I was thinking that getting the two apart when they are that large could be a challange.
Also, what is the plan for mounting? It seems to me that you might need a thicker backing for it to hold it flat, 66" of 1/4" plywood is sure to warp.
I have had trouble with both, stack cutting 1/4" plywood using the cheapest of carpet tape and trying to get them apart causing breakage, and even when the pattern is only 12" wide, I have had warping by not using anything but a frame to mount the project.
Wish you the best of luck and, I too am watching to see how it goes. I would like to try something larger (not as large as yours but...) a challange is a challange. LOL
I have never tried the sprial blades, (I was warned not to by another scroller), but I just might get some and see what I can do with them. :) (He said that they streach and are hard to keep following a line.)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 07:26:06 pm »
I use an electric brad nailer to hold them together.  Then I break off where the brad goes thru the back.  For backers I use 1/4 inch masonite (I think that's what it's called.....like pegboard without the holes)...painted black.
When I started scrolling and started researching blades, spirals just made sense to use since they cut in any direction.  It does take practice.  If I tried to use flat blades, I'd lose my mind and quit scrolling.  They say with any scrolling, a straight line is the hardest thing to do.  Amen to that...especially on this last supper thing!

boxmaker

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 08:54:14 pm »
Your work is simply unbelievable, I hope someday I can scroll a fraction of what you do. It is truly going to be a work of art, Please keep us posted with fresh pics.

cherie

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 08:55:48 pm »
Thats the spiral I'm talking about in another post!!! ::)

SMF

Teknoromi