Author Topic: How can I make a domed lid for a circular box?  (Read 1722 times)

PaulK

How can I make a domed lid for a circular box?
« on: February 20, 2011, 01:51:50 pm »
Hi -

I'm making a circular box approx 4inch diameter.

Rather than have a round flat lid, I want the lid to be domed like a mushroom, but not very thick, so that the lid edges are VERY thin and the centre height is at most about 3/8 of an inch.

As I don't have a lathe to turn the lid, all I can think of is to cut the curve of the lid from two sides at right angles - like cutting 3d pieces - and then sand the remainder to get what I want.

This isn't very accurate and difficult to get an even finish.

Anyone got any good ideas to help me out, please?

Thanks - Paul

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: How can I make a domed lid for a circular box?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:36:03 pm »
Does the inside need to be domed? If not, I would just take a piece a bit thicker then the desired height and sand it to the desired dome. This would seem to work well since 3/8" isn't really that tall.
If it was a little taller I would reccomend a modified version of Steve's angled bowl. http://www.stevedgood.com/ovalbowl.pdf
If you were careful you could sand the outside to the desired dome, although you might need to have thicker sides.

PaulK

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 03:48:30 am »
Thanks -

The inside does not need to be domed, so I think I will push ahead with the "simple" sanding suggestion.

I had not thought of the other idea you suggested and will keep that in mind for future projects

Paul

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:45:28 am »
I made one back at Christmas.  Just start sanding (and sanding, and sanding, and sanding.)  I bumped the edges with a disc sander down to about where I wanted it and then just used my 1/4 sheet sander over and over until I got the results I wanted.

SMF

Teknoromi