Author Topic: Best Order to Watch How To Videos  (Read 1684 times)

Rarast

Best Order to Watch How To Videos
« on: August 12, 2012, 06:34:41 pm »
Hi, I am a pre-beginner (:Phave scroll saw but still new in box). Am trying to figure out what the best order to watch your videos in is to help speed up the learning curve-ie. newest to oldest, oldest to newest, some other logical order, or just randomly watch in any order. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Best Order to Watch How To Videos
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:20:02 pm »
My advice is take the saw out of box, set it up per the instructions, put a blade in it (teeth pointing front and down), find a piece of scrap wood and start cutting! Then come back here and start asking questions. Once you have a feel for the saw, start watching the videos, oldest first. Then come back here and ask more questions.
BTW, Welcome to the forum! If you would, go over to the introduction page and introduce yourself so we can welcome you properly!
Dan In Southern California

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:10:24 pm »
If you want to watch videos try the lessons at Steve main site.

http://www.stevedgood.com/school/sss.html

There are also lessons with Shelia Landry at
http://lumberjocks.com/scrollgirl/blog/series/4134

don

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:51:12 am »
I'm with Dan - you won't know what to ask or what to look for until you get some sawdust on the saw.  The order of the videos really does not matter because the topics vary as do the projects.  You won't know what you are curious about until you give it a try.  Some of your questions will be saw specific.  They are all different.  Give us a shout when you are ready and have fun.

Dave W

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:38:43 am »
One piece of advice if you just jump right in....somewhat firmly hold the wood down on the table while you are cutting or you may get a scare in the form of the hopped-up-on-amphetamines-jumping-wood!  This is especially true for thicker wood or if you aren't using the guard.  and be careful about keeping your fingers near the edges of the wood in case the former happens.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 06:43:19 pm »
I agree, set up the saw and start making some sawdust. Soon after that the questions will come.  Right now you most likely do not even know the questions.   Happy cuting.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 07:57:32 am »
Hey Dave W, I love your description "hopped-up-on-anphetamines- jumping-wood".  It is commonly known as "chatter".  I think I like your description better.  BTW, it happens more if you are using reverse tooth blades. 

Rarast

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 07:27:32 am »
Thank you for all your quick and helpful answers! Mounting to stand today and am really excited to start practicing.

SMF

Teknoromi