Author Topic: Band saws  (Read 1463 times)

peterjf50

Band saws
« on: April 20, 2012, 05:22:40 pm »
I know there has been quite a bit of chatting about bandsaws with the great looking boxes people have made, decided I wanted a 14" saw and was looking at the Grizzly but hesitating because of the price (around $525 + shipping) then I saw this last night and pulled the trigger:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Bench-Stationary-Tools-Band-Saws/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbav4/R-202269178/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Reviews all around are about 50/50 i think, though most say when properly set up it is a good saw, and for $279 plus $55 shipping for a 14" with the capacities, I am hoping it is a cant miss!  LOL

Wanted to post in case anyone else looking it appears to be a really good price.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:44:28 pm by peterjf50 »

Offline wedo

• View Profile
Re: Band saws
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 05:52:56 pm »
In my looking at bandsaws, I've seen several references to the most important features:
#1 a good bandsaw blade (either Timber Wolfe or Wood slicer seem to be best and not that more expensive.
#2 a good set of guides (coolblocks is and example).
Once you have the saw all setup and these two features you should have a very pleasant experience.
Bill

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 07:50:43 am »
14 inch throat but only 6 inch resaw  if I'm reading it correct.  My Delta has 7 inch resaw and I'm not happy and wont  at least 12.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 09:40:50 am »
I have a Jet with a 6 inch riser.  I have outfitted it with guides from Carter along with some other accessories.  It impressed me wednesday night when I was able to resaw a 16 inch long 12 inch wide slab of 1 inch walnut into two boards for the top and bottom of a box.  I agree the blades are important, (again I like the Carter blades) but correct setup is essential.  There are videos online for instruction.  A well setup bandsaw is a very versatile tool.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

peterjf50

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 11:39:51 am »
Yeah, looking at the riser option, so funny like a lot of stuff, if you buy the riser from Ridgid it is $169, but you go to Grizzly and buy thiers for $79 and every posting says identical and fits perfect.  Go figure.

SMF

Teknoromi