Author Topic: Modification  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Al W

• View Profile
Modification
« on: March 25, 2012, 10:00:44 pm »
I have been following the tutorials for Corel, and learning quite a bit, but I am curious how I would take one of Steve's patterns and modify it.  For example, take one of the NFL football teams and put a high school team name in it.

Obviously I would also inquire if this is permissible.

Thanks for all, the patterns, the tutorials, and the forum.  Quite enjoyable all.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

tux_linux

Re: Modification
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:12:19 pm »
When I'm changing something - and I need to, because people in Germany don't understand English stuff and are not buying American labeled stuff well (sounds wired, but you know how I mean that) - I usually make a big screenshot (Faststone Capture 4.5 - freeware) and trim the English wording out with a graphical tool like paint.net or corel or so. If needed I add a German wording.

I know Steve is OK with that, but I guess it would be better to hear that from himself.

Mainewoods

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:51:58 pm »
Al, first off, yes, you are allowed to modify Steve's patterns, but you're not allowed to post the changed pattern.  And, make sure you give Steve credit for his pattern.  As for logos, most are copyrighted, so be careful what you do with it.  I don't know if high school logos are copyrighted, but it's better to be safe than sorry!  As for how to modify it, I'm a cheapskate and use Inkscape.  Steve's patterns are in .pdf format and can be imported straight into Inkscape.  I don't know if Coreldraw can import a .pdf or not. 

Hope this helps!

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:05:31 pm »
Thanks Mainewoods, but I am not concerned about the logo, I have no intention of using one.  But I would like to put the name of the school into the football, similar to Steve's NFL footballs.

My question boils down to:  is it possible to "back up" one of the patterns to be able to change words, or other items in the pattern.

Credit will be given to Mr. Good for the patterns.

Molon Labe

Mainewoods

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 07:22:24 am »

My question boils down to:  is it possible to "back up" one of the patterns to be able to change words, or other items in the pattern.

Yes.  I've done it in inkscape, and I'm pretty sure Coreldraw can do it too.  Usually involves breaking the individual parts of the pattern down into paths, then modifying or deleting them and putting in what you want.  PM me if you'd like a more detailed explanation!   :)

Glen

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:44:46 am »
Yes, it is okay to modify Steve's patterns. Just make sure you give him credit for the original. If you have Corel Draw, it will import the .pdf file easily. If you are cutting it for you own use or giving it to a friend you can add any logo you want including copyrighted ones. You just can't sell them (unless you want to get sued) and you can't post the patterns here but you can post a picture of the finished product. If you need help just ask.  8)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:52:54 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:56:31 am »
Morning Russ, you said ask, so I am asking....

Tried to modify one of the footballs (NFL) to put the local high school team name where the pro name is located.

How the heck do I get Corel to "back up" from the pro name so I can change the information.

If this is not clear, and it may not be, let me know.

Thanks in advance, both for the help here, and all the work you accomplish for the site.

Al
Molon Labe

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 10:50:31 am »
First thing I do is to break apart the .pdf so I am only working with one page. Second I import just one of the pages, importing the text as curves. Select the entire object with the Pick Tool and then change to the Shape Tool. Every thing will change to nodes. With the Shape Tool select each letter or letters (the nodes will be highlighted) and hit delete. They will disappear.   8)

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 02:09:02 pm »
It's my turn to ask a stupid question now Russ, how do you "break apart a .PDF file".  I understood the rest of the explaination, I imported the pdf file into coreldraw, but can't see how to break it apart.
thanks Russ
Keefie.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 04:16:11 pm »
Sorry I guess I should have included the first step. I use this to break the .pdf file apart before I import, it has no viruses and no spam, no malware. The free version has some limatations but it works for me. Adolix Split & Merge PDF Go to the "Download Now Free Version" in the middle of the page.  8)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:36:29 pm by Russ C »

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 06:11:23 pm »
Thanks Russ, I'll get it now.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 03:03:52 pm »
Russ, I got the program, and it's easy to split the pdf into single pages, but I still cant work out hoe to change test in the imported picture, I click on "break apart" and it might seperate a couple of small lines but the main picture stays as a single item, what am I missing/doing wrong ?? (BTW, I'm using CorelDraw)

Might have to get you to do a little video like Steve does, to show us how to do it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:06:17 pm by Keefie »

Mainewoods

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 05:02:13 pm »
Keith, I haven't used Corel Draw, but I have used Inkscape to edit some of Steve's patterns to my liking.  In some instances, I had to break things apart a few times in a row before it broke the pattern down to where I could manipulate the part I wanted to change.  I don't know if this applies in Corel Draw, but you might try it.  Use the "pick" tool (arrow) to select everything on the page, then "break apart".  If the part you need to change still isn't selectable, use the pick tool to select everything again, and again break it apart.  I've had to repeat this as many as 3 or 4 times to get at what I wanted.

Hope this helps,

Glen

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 01:23:13 pm »
You don't have to break apart anything. Import just one of the pages/pdf, importing the text as curves. Select the entire object with the Pick Tool and then change to the Shape Tool. Every thing will change to nodes. With the Shape Tool select each letter or letters (the nodes will be highlighted) and hit delete. They will disappear. Sorry but I don't have the ability to make the videos like Steve does.  8)

SMF

Teknoromi