Author Topic: Intarsia/Segmentation ?  (Read 1139 times)

boxmaker

Intarsia/Segmentation ?
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:01:20 pm »
I have a question if someone could help. I bought a pattern from winfield, it is a wine cork holder wall display. I don't know if this is intarsia, but my question is, there are some grapes in the pattern, and I am not sure if I cut them each individually or as a bunch. It looks like I am supposed to cut each one out then glue them back together, does that make sense. I have cut most of the other pieces out, and so far so good. any help would be appreciated.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
Re: Intarsia/Segmentation ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:45:40 pm »
seems to me that making them separately would be a good approach.  I know that carving grapes from one piece is kinda tricky to get right.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 06:46:41 pm »
That's a very nice pattern. It should look good when it's finished.

You should cut each grape out individually, sand them to shape and if you're cutting everything out of the same board, as in segmentation, paint or stain them before gluing them down to the backing board.  
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

boxmaker

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:23:08 pm »
Thank You for the responses. I cut the pieces out today, 30 little pieces. I numbered each piece, on a copy of the pattern and on the back of each piece. I used one solid board (Cherry). I sanded the board before I cut them, 220 grit. I didn't sand the little pieces after, They were so tiny, I could barely keep a hold of them. I glued them all back together, now I have one whole bunch of grapes. Thanks again for the help. I ordered a book today, called Intarsia woodworking for beginners, by Kathy Wise. If you have any other tips I could use the help. Intarsia92 your work is amazing. I may be in over my head, but so far it is a lot of fun. 

SMF

Teknoromi