Author Topic: What thickness of wood  (Read 1417 times)

Offline bhenr99

• View Profile
What thickness of wood
« on: February 14, 2012, 05:28:25 pm »
I'm going to do a fretwork piece with a lot of cutouts. I don't want to use plywood but instead I'm going to use ash. My question is pattern states to use 1/2 inch hardwood or 1/4 inch plywood, but I'm thinking of using 3/8 inch ash . Do you think that the 1/8 inch difference in thickness will add that much more strength to each cut out  hole. Thanks for any help.

Bob

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: What thickness of wood
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:04:45 pm »
I think the ash will be fine.  Ash is a pretty tight grained wood and should be able to hold up even in intricate designs.  I think you will do OK.  I have one suggestion though. If you aren't already planning to, maybe you should cover the entire piece with clear packaging tape before cutting (you can do this over the pattern after it is applied) This will help prevent burn marks when cutting the dense Ash.

Good luck and let us know how you do!   Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:26:58 pm »
It depends on what the piece is, if you need the strength because it has a working function then go for it but bear in mind that increasing the thickness of a cut out can sometimes take away its looks, in other words, if it has a lot of delicate framework or swirls and curves, making it to thick removes its delicate nature, making it look to chunky. Strength is often determined by the direction of the grain. For instance if you cut a length of wood ?? sq x 6? long and the grain is running across the width, it is easily broken but if the grain is running along the length it is infinitely stronger. If it is just for a delicate cut out to hang on a wall, then make it even thinner than ?? but take your time cutting and you will be rewarded with a stunning look. Hope this helps Iggy.   
Frustration is the food of invention.

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 06:32:02 pm »
3/8" is fine, that is a really good thickness. I use it from time to time from beech ply. It's got more resistance and cut's therefor much nicer than 1/4".
You could also add a 1/4" layer if it is still to weak to cut accurate, but I assume that the ash is quite hard.

I'm with Sheila but would put the clear tape on the bottom side (...and if needed also on top).
Two effects from tape on the bottom side:
1. The blade is lubricated better.
2. The work piece turns really easy as it is moved on the tape.

Works quite well for me with thick or hard wood.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:21:21 pm »
I love cutting Ash ... BUT ... it is tough stuff!

Definitely put packing tape top and bottom...and use the largest blade you can for the type of scroll work.

and no matter what thickness you choose I would add a layer of 1/8" BB to the bottom...Just my preference.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi