Author Topic: A hello and thanks.  (Read 2455 times)

Sunlion

A hello and thanks.
« on: December 27, 2011, 05:28:36 am »
Hi, new to scrollsawing here.

About 5 weeks ago I hit upon some of Steve's Tutorials on Youtube whilst searching for something related, may have been tools can't recall. Anyhow, I was into Pyrography and used to do the craft fairs (not done any for about 5 - 6 years now) so no stranger to the crafting world I was interested in scrollsawing after watching the video tuts.

Well, I got sort of smitten with the idea and bought a cheap machine to see if I would like this craft. Mmmm I did.

I made a couple very small test cuts on ply then set myself the challenge of making a christmas present for my wife. I checked through some of Steve's Videos and checked through all the news articles on the home page and settled on the 'tallclock".

I set about learning a new skill by doing and did successfully end up with a nice and fun clock that my wife loves to bits.
I had my duaghter make an addition (a butterfly next to clockface) and my son chose a flower lower left to balance it. This way they felt like they had contributed.

I changed the mahogant frontpiece for my own design and added some leaves to the bottom right base. Cut and painted some glass added a light and hey presto one fun clock.

hehe was not so hey presto mind, I struggled some, and worked round some tool limitations but in the end (being woodworkerly challeged ) succeeded.

My wife loves the clock, and I now have a new crafting skill I intend to develop alongside my Pyrography.

So big thanks Steve for inspiring me in the first place and also for the great clock pattern and tut.

Thanks
 here are a couple of pictures.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/WhiteVanDriver/Scrollwork/clockfinished.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/WhiteVanDriver/Scrollwork/clocklit.jpg

Sunlion/Steve

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: A hello and thanks.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 05:44:08 am »
You have a very nice, well made clock there, if you are new to scrolling then I would love to see your next few masterpieces.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 06:57:31 am »
welcome Steve.
WOW great clock!
if you are new to scrolling and this is one of you first jobs, then I can't wait to see more of your work.

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:15:09 am »
Glad you found us. Hi I'm Russ from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum. A day without saw dust is like a day without sunshine. Nice job on the clock.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Sunlion

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 08:30:14 am »
Thanks folks, I certainly enjoyed making it, and look forward to more projects come the New Year. :)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 08:42:10 am »
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.  Your clock came out great.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.  Many years ago, I saw a crafter that had combined pyrography and scrolling for the most beautiful pieces.  I keep telling myself I'm going to try it but haven't yet.  Can't wait to see what all you come up with.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 11:13:09 am »
Welcome to the forum Steve. I'm Dan from Southern California. Come on in and join the fun!
Dan In Southern California

daliclimbs

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 11:19:14 am »
Welcome! I'm Scott from West Virginia. Great looking clock you made! Welcome to the forum.

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 12:18:08 pm »
Hi Steve I'm Pete from Scotland , that is a GREAT first project , look forward to seeing more in the future !...Pete
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

Sunlion

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 01:20:08 pm »
Thanks,

I do have some ideas for combined pyro and scrollwork. Waiting on a new machine ready for some experiments in the new year, so I am not sure exactly what I will come up with yet , but my mind is a blur atm, hehe. I do know, that I will enjoy whatever I do. I already love pyro work, so now I have the scrollsaw bug, well, that's me in craft heaven I reckon. :)

Look out shed I am moving in again.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 05:33:05 pm »
welcome to the form and beautiful work as well.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 05:39:23 pm »
Nice job.  Welcome from North Dakota
I'm from North Dakota

tux_linux

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 08:15:59 pm »
Welcome. Looks fine.

Torsten from Munich, Germany.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 01:09:21 am »
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum, I'm Marg from Australia.  Are you sure you're new to scrolling??????LOL  You did a great job.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Sunlion

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 03:53:51 am »
Thanks,

and marg, I love Oz, I lived there as a kid. My Mother and Sister still live there in Newcastle NSW.
Aye, new to scrolling but not new to crafting and being arty hehe.

I will try anything once, but now scrolling has grabbed me and I feel an affinity with it, I guess once won't be enough. :)

Happy scrolling Down Under.

SMF

Teknoromi