Author Topic: Any real advantage in an expensive saw  (Read 7358 times)

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Any real advantage in an expensive saw
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2012, 10:32:12 pm »
gene, I've only had the Delta 40-690 for about 9 months so it hasn't had much wear and tear.  I did take it into the repair centre for knocking at higher speeds.  They fixed that but couldn't get the blade to stay perpendicular to the table through it's stroke.  I was able to partly fix that problem.   http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=6646.0

The blade still moves forward and backward as it strokes up and down, between 1/16" and 1/32".  That doesn't seem like much but I can feel the workpiece try to move back and forth when I'm cutting slowly.  It doesn't seem to affect the cut, I just have to hold it a bit tighter.

The repair shop tightened one of the pivot bolts for the upper arm with the result that the arm stays up by itself.  There is a click as it locks into place but it can be lowered relatively easily.  One day I'll work on a spring assisted lift like the Easy Lift by jimdandy.

The markings on the saw indicate it is a Type 1 but I doubt it was made at the same factory as the Dewalt 788 Type 1 Saw. 

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the saw and don't regret purchasing it.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but hope this helps.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

J,Hamilton

Re: Any real advantage in an expensive saw
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 06:25:07 am »
People have been doing quality work with far less in tool quality for 1000's of years. I started with a Ryobi then I switched to a craftsman 16. Now I have an EX21 and am looking at an Eclipse.

My recommendation is to buy the best that you can afford, but I agree with earlier posts on practice and technique development. The equipment has not made my work better, my techniques have become more refined which helped in speed and confidence to work with more advanced patterns.

The other thing to consider with a saw purchace is to determine the usage of it. A hobby saw that sees the light of day 2 or 3 times a year does not warrant the need to buy top of the line. A low grade saw will not stand up to the riggors of 5 or more hours a day usage. Maintenance and customer service also come into play here. Machines wear and do break down from time to time. It is nice to know you can get parts in a timely manner and advice from the manufacturer that is sound.

With the info from the forum, take this and make the best decision on what your usage will be. Then practice and see the results you create. You only have to make the one that you create the item for happy, not all of us.

SMF

Teknoromi